Here's a weird problem, front brake

(about:- "if it ain't broke don't fix it") GOTTA love this one. :woowoo:

Hi solo,
and it ain't always true, neither.
Certainly my BSA's connecting rod wasn't broke until it fell in half and punched it's way out through the crankcase.
But BEFORE it broke and fragged the engine was sure as shit the time to fix it.

I have a safety harness but was not required to wear it in the location I was working in. The drop of the flashlight, which I went to pick up put me in a danger zone,from tripping while wearing new big gawky heavy ass high top steel toed monster shoes that has never been required ever for over 100 years.
But I'm sure 1 guy out of billions, hurt his foot, so now we have to wear these big boots while I go from job to job or travel miles walking around hospitals and garages.
I did just fine with the leather shoes we all wore before.
Thanks for your concern though.

Posted via Mobile

I moved from an industrial city to a farming community in the late sixties . I was shocked to see many (farmers) walking around with missing fingers, hands, limbs. It was years before I fully understood the difference between modern industrial safety and farm safety. The farm standards have largely caught up now and amputees are rare. There has been a recent uptick in injuries because "hobby farmers" are buying and using that old equipment again. The good old days? weren't for many.

I know both a farmer and an industrial electrician that were "sleeved" when a safety procedure or guard was bypassed. Hint; sleeved did not involve a shirt or jacket, shudder.

Yeah I'm heading out right now to get pizza for the family. So let's let nature do its job. Because I'm in a car that millions and millions of people die from accidents. And I'm not wearing a helmet or knee pads or shoulder pads or gloves or glasses or steel toe high top boots or ear plugs or a hair net or a long sleeve shirt or a face shield, though I do have my seatbelt on.
Tell him to hurry up, I'll be retiring soon, and probably die of natural causes soon after that anyway

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
- - - I know both a farmer and an industrial electrician that were "sleeved" when a safety procedure or guard was bypassed. Hint; sleeved did not involve a shirt or jacket, shudder.

Hi Gary,
sometimes Darwin has to wait a generation.
Guy who bought the house across the street lost both arms at age 24 and went on to get married and father twin sons.
Betcha those boys know to look up, way up, when launching a sailboat to make sure the electric company didn't string a 50KVolt line across the launch ramp.

Hi Gary,
sometimes Darwin has to wait a generation.
Guy who bought the house across the street lost both arms at age 24 and went on to get married and father twin sons.
Betcha those boys know to look up, way up, when launching a sailboat to make sure the electric company didn't string a 50KVolt line across the launch ramp.

Don't know how they would learn when their dad cant point out his mistake.:D

I have been reading the comments from RP and the others. I can agree with RP on the issue of overboard on safety. Don't get me wrong I'm all in favor of keeping myself safe. I work in service for commercial HVAC and we have a must wear hardhats all the time even if just installing a thermostat???. Also they tried to have us tie off with harness into roof top units that maybe located in the middle of a roof as big as a football field all the time wearing a hard hat (just in case something falls from the ski or we get blown off the roof)????. We also have to log daily safety discussions (with ourselves ,i work a lone) along with reading weekly safety topics. When they ran out of safty topics they ran a weekly safty topic on how to be safe while in your tree stand while hunting. Keep in mind everyone must read these. SO with that being said I must say I agree with the others about the brake lines. If going to keep a bike, I would spend the $25.00 and replace the lines and rebuild the MC and the caliper. I am pretty sure you will find the small hole plugged when you check yours. I used to be bad about changing fluids but have learned a bit and now I change and replace just on principle even though the old ones would probably work ok. I have also been riding for 46 years. I think I hear you saying that you don't replace the lines just on principle and thats ok for you. Everyone has their own way of doing things

As I said before everyone.......Just let rpmalerba be and Darwin will do his job in time.

S2R! You are working your ARSE off and spinnin' on the ice, but you just keep easing along. I LOVE IT! You're really not getting much love in this dog-fight, but I can imagine you... lurking about... a shadowy figure, face partially hidden, maybe wearing a cloak...? Is that a FEDORA??? Now, you GIT! You get outta this thread RIGHT NOW! You're like that candy-man urban legend 'thing' that just creepily slips in and out, giving a taste of heroin to addicts! HA! Now go creep on pics of my hardtail chopper and secretly LOVE IT!!!!

Last edited:
Kinda fits here. Grzld pointed this out to me about 50 miles from the end of the 2015 Arkansas rally. We had done about 400 miles making time on rough curvy macadam. Kinda tiptoed home after I saw it! Never seen a tire do this before. plenty of tires crack the other way and on the sidewalls. I had ordered new Michelins but didn't get them on time for the rally.

20160220_113137.jpg 20160220_113209.jpg

Yeah I'm heading out right now to get pizza for the family. So let's let nature do its job. Because I'm in a car that millions and millions of people die from accidents. And I'm not wearing a helmet or knee pads or shoulder pads or gloves or glasses or steel toe high top boots or ear plugs or a hair net or a long sleeve shirt or a face shield, though I do have my seatbelt on.
Tell him to hurry up, I'll be retiring soon, and probably die of natural causes soon after that anyway

Posted via Mobile

Hey RPM, you'll never guess what I did the other day... WENT INTO AN UNDERGROUND CONFINED SPACE - WITHOUT - ADEQUATE - VENTILATION! I must be dead and don't know it. HAHAHA! Now, have you LEARNED anything about posting??? Sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. Glad you had some things pointed out to you? Now, what about your dang brake? The TRUTH! Did you fix it???

Kinda fits here. Grzld pointed this out to me about 50 miles from the end of the 2015 Arkansas rally. We had done about 400 miles making time on rough curvy macadam. Kinda tiptoed home after I saw it! Never seen a tire do this before. plenty of tires crack the other way and on the sidewalls. I had ordered new Michelins but didn't get them on time for the rally.

View attachment 61316 View attachment 61317

Gggary, yeah, that's a first for me too. Automotive OR sickle-wise... Weird.

You can look at that tire and see it's rock hard. Didn't really have any issues riding it "old man fast" 'til I saw the crack. I buy and run Shinkos all the time even on 200 MPH bikes. but draw the line at Kendas.

cra-z1 you get it. Some guys have to wear glasses as they exit their truck in a parking lot! Stupid and over the top.
On the brake line. I'm not replacing a dated brake line on a classic bike that works fine because I have a pin hole vent clog.

madjap, thanks for asking. I thought about the fools that wanted to see me or my kids get hurt and asked myself why bother talking to such fools.
I did not replace everything as advised. I used my own wisdom and took things apart and checked them for wear etc... and put everything right back where it was. I blew out and cleaned things with cleaner too. It works great, it has not built up pressure while sitting, with the original parts I still ride it around my town a few days a week. Old tires , parts, and all.
Ps, one of the hospitals I work in has CONFINED CRAWL SPACE also. When I brought it up I was told, that it was just for their guys, not us. What?? Its only dangerous for a certain group??
Its like politics, crooked, and rules only apply when they benefit the company.

Last edited:
Back