Here's my heap...going to needs lots of help on this one...

Nubster

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My very first bike!!!! I am mechanically inclined but not much experience and no training in working on cars or bikes. I always try to figure out and fix issues before I turn to a mechanic and so far it has paid off...I want to continue that with my new bike. So I am sure I'll be asking lots of stupid newb questions until I get this stuff figured out.

Anyways...I got myself a hardtailed 79' XS650 (of course) and it is ghetto...to the extreme. It runs ok...starts easily but is a biotch to kick when cold...still working on figuring that one out. Runs ok but I think it could use a tune/carb cleaning. I have an extra set of carbs so I'll probably play with those first so I can see how they are put together and stuff works. There is also an extra side cover that I am going to polish up and install as the one on the bike has the Yamaha filled in but not very well and is painted black. Not diggin' it too much. Bike needs LOTS of TLC...first priority is getting front brakes (anyone have parts?), and get the rear brake sorted out. I ordered new TC Bros. forward controls as the ones on the bike are pretty sketchy, and a brake pivot, so that should take care of that. Once the brakes are ironed out I'll move on to other issues...needs the kickstand redone, I know it needs rewired which will make a good winter project, I want new handle bars, needs tuned, new pipes, eventually motor pulled, rebuilt, rephased, cleaned and polished, Pamco ignition installed...lots of things...I'm going to be working on making a laundry list and it's going to be a slow build for sure since budget is dictating.

So that's it in a nutshell...here are a few pics...let me know if anything jumps out as far as being a potential problem that should be addressed sooner than later. Otherwise, be prepared for those newb questions to start flowing...lol...thanks for looking...

MyHeap.jpg

MyHeap1.jpg

MyHeap3.jpg

MyHeap6.jpg

Yeah...I do like those so I may try to use the TC Bros. stuff on those hoops...but the setup on there now is really...well...it isn't a good setup to say the least.

looks like a good start anyways, but i'd recommend the front brakes as well. thats 80% of your braking power

Yeah...brakes are #1 priority. What bike front brake setups will work so I can expand my parts search? I ordered new forward controls and a brake pivot to take care of the rear.

I will not be using front brakes on my build. I know for a fact I still have the front rotor and I cant imagine I wouldve kept the rotor and not the caliper so Ill check tomorrow and Ill let you know. If I still have it, its yours just pay shipping. By the way, any idea what pipes those are? They look pretty slick!

Good start!

That would be awesome stunt. As far as the pipes...honestly...I have no idea. They do sound pretty good though. I'll make a sound clip of them tomorrow and post up.

Man seriously, I cannot imagine knowing how to ride a damned bike and not having front brakes. I consider that absurd, unsafe and dumb. Nothing personal =)

Its cool, just takes a little getting used to and a lot of attention to whats going on around you. Its not for everyone but I like it. And I hesitate to even say this but Im running a drum in the back too...

Disc or drum in back doesn't really matter because once you put the brakes on the weight of the bike shifts away from the back tire. You have about 20% of the braking power or LESS with the back brake than you do the front.

It also eliminates your ability to brake in a turn, because without both brakes you'll overload the rear and lowside in any significant traction situation.

It's not about being aware, it's about removing your primary control surface. I respect everyone's right to choose, but I speak my mind clearly and that is a pretty stupid thing to do for the sake of fashion statements, if you value your life and limb.

It does...it is actually better though than it looks, however I am still fixing it with a new weld on brake pivot and new forward controls.

stuntdouble;

I strongly recommend you install a disk brake on the front of your bike. If you ride like that, its just a matter of time before you will run into a solid object such as cars, trucks, animals, etc.

Just last month I had a very close call when a deer ran in front of me. I was doing about 80 km/hr, and it was only due to my strong front brake, that I avoided a direct T-bone crash with the deer. My front wheel clipped its hind leg as it darted in front of me.
The animals speed was just a blur...................there's no amount of "attention around you" that can save your ass, in situations like that. Just my opinion...............drive safely.

Disc or drum in back doesn't really matter because once you put the brakes on the weight of the bike shifts away from the back tire. You have about 20% of the braking power or LESS with the back brake than you do the front.

It also eliminates your ability to brake in a turn, because without both brakes you'll overload the rear and lowside in any significant traction situation.

It's not about being aware, it's about removing your primary control surface. I respect everyone's right to choose, but I speak my mind clearly and that is a pretty stupid thing to do for the sake of fashion statements, if you value your life and limb.

stuntdouble;

I strongly recommend you install a disk brake on the front of your bike. If you ride like that, its just a matter of time before you will run into a solid object such as cars, trucks, animals, etc.

Just last month I had a very close call when a deer ran in front of me. I was doing about 80 km/hr, and it was only due to my strong front brake, that I avoided a direct T-bone crash with the deer. My front wheel clipped its hind leg as it darted in front of me.
The animals speed was just a blur...................there's no amount of "attention around you" that can save your ass, in situations like that. Just my opinion...............drive safely.

Duly noted... :thumbsup:

Back