Hhb pma rotor slip

Downer

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hey guys went to do some maintanance on valves and my timing mark no longer lines up with the tdc where it's saposed to so I'm guessing the rotor spun on the crank I read I did not need a woodruff key but now seems as I should of put it in any advise on how to get it lined up again and should I find a woodruff key need to find tdc again thanx in advance

I used a modified woodruff key on my own HHB PMA swap, but you are correct in that the new instructions do not call for it, and that the taper fit is more than substantial enough to keep the rotor from slipping under load. The key slot on the shaft is not a match for the key slot on the rotor, so you pretty much have to waste an afternoon filing and fiddling to make a key that works.

Are you sure the rotor has slipped? I know it sounds too obvious, but are you looking at the right mark? Mechanical TDC and the Fire mark are not the same.

If your rotor has slipped, it may be due to incorrect installation. Tapers like that should be scrupulously clean and DRY when installed; any grit, surface corrosion, or lubricant can screw up the security of the fit.

Having said all that, the only thing that would be affected by a slip (I'm not talking about a sloppy loose free-spinning condition, just a one-time little slip) would be the position of the timing mark. Having a key really only serves to make re-establishing the timing easier if you ever had to re & re the rotor for some reason.

As long as everything else is okay, just re-establish TDC with a piston stop or other accurate method, and re-draw your mark on the rotor.

Pulled the rotor luckily I had a paint mark on the actual crank itself the line on the rotor and the line on the crank were not lined up but now have them lined again cranked the nut down hopefully it will hold thanx again for the help fellas

mine slipped about 180 deg. the first time "torqued to stock specs"....... used an impact on low the second time now its only moved about 20 deg. in the past 200 miles take the time and get a woodruff key in there.... i wish i would have

Fyi, the "key" is only there to ensure timing marks line up when the rotor is removed and then reinstalled.
The taper is what drives the rotor, if it has slipped place a small amount of valve grinding paste onto the crankshaft & install the rotor by hand, rotate the rotor back and forth for about 30 seconds. Pull the rotor back off the crankshaft, clean it up and install.
Used to have to do this with a few 490 Yamahas I've had before, they can spin on the crank often.

When I did my rotor it took only like 5 minutes to file down the key. Glad I did. Guess the no key required part came out later on. Anyways had no problems wih mine last 3000 miles.

Finding TDC isn't hard to do. Not really needed to adjust the valves. Pull the plug on the cylinder you want to adjust. Put you finger in the hole, turn engine till you feel compression on your finger. As the piston is coming up on compression the valves are closed, Stop and adjust the valves.
Do the same on the other side.
If you look at a cam You will see that the base of the lobe is a perfect circle for just a bit more than 1/2 the circumference of the cam. The way the lobes are angled to each other the base of the lobes overlap about 1/4 turn of the way around. This give you about 1/2 revolution of the crank where the valves are closed enough to adjust them. Leo

Back