Hi from east TN!

sbulla

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys, newbie here who just acquired my first XS. It's a 1980 Special.

I'm entertaining thoughts of building it into a Street Tracker so, I'll be watching y'all for ideas and where to find parts I need.

Sonny

Attachments

• xs2.jpg
    xs2.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 229
Hey Sonny Nice bike.

Kinda looks like an 81 with VM type carbs, sportster mufflers, and possibly an early gas tank.

Hey Sonny Nice bike.

Kinda looks like an 81 with VM type carbs, sportster mufflers, and possibly an early gas tank.

The PO installed PWK carbs and the HD mufflers. It also had a Vetter fairing and saddle bags that I removed just before this pic.

Sonny

Welcome bike looks good!

Ever go to johnson city? I entertained moving there for a while... still might visit this summer and see if im still interested...

I live in Johnson City TN. If you guys are ever this way hit me up. Also if you need any thing on your build I have a garage full of XS stuff.

Hello from Church Hill and Welcome Aboard.

Johnson City is nice area for sure, but my Mother-In Law lives there, so I try to avoid it - although that's the closest Harbor Freight. :laugh:

Welcome bike looks good!

Ever go to johnson city? I entertained moving there for a while... still might visit this summer and see if im still interested...

Been through there a few times when hwy40 was closed due to a rock slide and I needed to get to NC but, never stopped. The VA hospital is there but, thankfully, I haven't had to go yet! :)

Sonny

I live in Johnson City TN. If you guys are ever this way hit me up. Also if you need any thing on your build I have a garage full of XS stuff.

Do you have a 19" mag front wheel? I hear that's the way to go for a rear wheel using an adaptor kit for a street tracker.

Sonny

Sonny, there are two problems with that modification. The more serious one is that you wind up with a 1.85" rim in back that's a bit too narrow for any tire that fits the style you're trying for. Sure, you can mount a 110 or 120 tire, but its profile will be deformed by the narrow rim; probably not enough to be unsafe, but enough to compromise handling, and since you live in some of the world's finest riding country, you may not want that. Second, there's no magnesium in those "mags;" they're cast aluminum, and they're heavy. This is just one guy's opinion, but they're really kind of silly on a bike that's supposed to look like a flat tracker.

Not agreeing or disagreeing with griz, just a pic comparo. Both tires mounted on a 19x1.85 Yammie front mag. Actual dirttrack 27x7x19 on left, 110/80x19 on right. I have other tire pics if you want them.

Those tires can be mounted on 1.85's, Dave, no doubt about that. How hard you'd want to pitch a bike over, especially on pavement, with those tires pinched in at the bead by a 1.85 is another question. But each to his own; if the rider isn't interested in lively cornering, the fat tire and skinny rim will work just fine.

Second, there's no magnesium in those "mags;" they're cast aluminum,

Well aware of that as we've been calling them "mags" for years and old habits are hard to break.

Come to think of it, the only true mags I have ever worked with were probably the wheels on the airplanes I worked on in the Navy back in 68-72. :laugh:

Thanks for your input!

Sonny

Back