Hi Guys! I'm back!!

Barb

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I made it! Millie (my '79 Beemer) and I went from Washington State to North Carolina for a.....bike ride. 6,409 miles round trip, including the 220 mile rally loop in Blowing Rock, N.C.

Problems? Yeah, lots of 'em! Bad roads, lots of rain, some hail, and in Rapid City I hit four inches of snow! (I stopped for the night...) But the bike behaved flawlessly and used only two quarts of oil for the whole trip---well, and she needed a new rear tire in Tennessee.

So I'm going to ride Millie this Summer, and work on Jaelith the XS650/sidecar bike. I want her to charge correctly, and I'm tired of simian-fornication ("Monkey-f....",well, you know). If it takes a new alternator and wiring harness from Mikes, so be it. Anyone ever just hack the sidecover to bits, and run a pulley and belt up to a GM alternator mounted in front of the engine (like an old AJS or something...)? OK, I'm kidding, but only half-way.

Anyway, I'm home after nearly four weeks astride a bike and rolling down some very interesting roads. I paid from $2.37 to $3.60 a gallon for gas and got the required sunburn on my nose....and shoulders. I should know better than to ride in the South with only jeans and a tank top, but it was HOT!!! Even with sunscreen I burned a bit...and had loads of fun, including some genuine moonshine! Yummy!

So, yeah. I'm back---didja miss me? :)

I'm impressed with riding 6409 miles.....................that must be over 10,000 kms, which is the funny way we canadians measure distance. I bet you missed the constant vibration from the XS:)

I was at a bike night a couple of days ago, and one lad had a 78 Beemer. It sure looked good, and had a nice sound to it. He had converted the swing arm to a single sided swing arm from an off road beemer.

Good to see you made it back safely:bike:

Glad to see you had a safe & fun-filled trip. Maybe you could go for an Iron Butt jaunt on your next trip. Those are allway's fun.:yikes::shrug::bike:

"Hit four inches of snow"?

How did you even make it TO four inches of snow. I fall over and stay there on 1/4" of snow. Ah...extra wheel I bet.

Hi Guys,

Well, the snow was beginning just as I was arriving in Rapid City. I got "lucky" and only had to ride in cold rain and some hail before I got there. I'm sure the Black Hills are beautiful in nice weather, but in hail, rain and wind they **SUCK**!

Pictures? I can only try....I'll give it a shot and see what happens, OK? Here goes.....

Attachments

• Group shot, 2010 3SMR.jpg
    Group shot, 2010 3SMR.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 188
Hi Barb! I was at a rally this Sunday and in the show was a Zundapp with a hack . I though about you. Pretty cool. It was a pretty good award.
IMG_0075.jpg

IMG_0076.jpg

Hi Guys,

Well, the snow was beginning just as I was arriving in Rapid City. I got "lucky" and only had to ride in cold rain and some hail before I got there. I'm sure the Black Hills are beautiful in nice weather, but in hail, rain and wind they **SUCK**!

Pictures? I can only try....I'll give it a shot and see what happens, OK? Here goes.....
I am so sorry you missed the Black Hills in good weather! I've been there twice, and it is SO cool. Did you drive through Custer State park? Did you go to the Crazy Horse memorial? Mount Rushmore? Other cool stuff is the Devils Tower monument about 2 hours away in Wyoming. Have to watch out for wildlife though. I had 3 close calls with deer in a week. I wanna go back.

Back