HID lights

Capt_Zoom

Raider Rider/xs newbie
Reaction score
Will HID lights have less or more draw than the stock headlight or a H4 bulb? Also does anyone know what the K value means on HID lights?

The K value is referring to the temperature measured in kelvin. This temperature directly relates to the color of the bulb. 1,000K is orangish, 3,000K is generally yellowish, around 7,000K gets near white, 12,000K is blueish and 15,000k is near violet. These are approximate temperatures and color equivalents. Hopefully this helps.

I have a trail tech 40W HID on one of my choppers. It is 3200 lumes and draws 3.3 amps which is not much but is insanely bright The bike will still charge at idle and being that the taillightnis a LED that helps too. I honestly have no idea what the factory XS650 light drowns. I'm sure someone around here will.

Last edited:
The stock headlight 55/60 watt (and meter lights) draw 4.4 amps on low and 5.2 on high.

I prefer to use a 40/60 watt. The 40 watt only draws 3.6 amps, which helps to keep your alternator/electrical system happy. Yes, the LED tail/brake light is a great addition to these bikes.

So are there differences in the bulbs regarding how well you can see at night?

basically I want to be able to see really well at night but also have a color that helps cagers notice I'm around during the day.

Don't get me wrong...I still gotta ride like I'm invisible but If I can maximize the attention they pay me I will.

Lumes is the perceived intensity of the light. There a 40W bulbs out there that are only 400-500 lumes. Others like the HID I have are 3200 lumes. But I'm pretty sure mine isn't DOT approved. Not that I really care.

HID's generally have a higher lume rating as the light is more intense aka brighter. They also give off the cool blue looking light, generally.

I run the yellow 3k HID h4 setup, and at night it is really bright so I aim it down and to the right. During he day it is pretty noticeable as well.

Stock auto HID bulbs are 4300K higher is bluer lower is yellower. I have a Motorcycle HID kit been sitting in a box for about 2 years now. I have replaced 4 HID bulbs on my Prius in 60,000 miles. There are some serious issues with HID bulbs retrofitted into a standard headlight. In general it's illegal everywhere, the HID may dazzle oncoming drivers in either hi OR low beam because the reflector is not designed for the HID bulb.
There are three basic types of bulbs; one beam only, a movable shield to select hi low, and (this is strange) an HID low beam with a quartz high beam, this doesn't make sense to me but that is what I have seen advertised. You need to find a space for the HID ballast, some of the newer ones are fairly small but wouldn't fit in a crowded headlight shell.

When I picked my Raider up from winter storage the local shops manager showed me what he had on his Road star. He added the HID so it only ran HI on the low beam switch setting. He kept his stock high beam just in case the HID failed. Also by doing this he didn't have to add a relay system to his roadie. This is how I'll set it up on my raider. I'm thinking of setting up the xs650 the same way.

I say bedazzle(lol) the shit out of oncoming traffic, at least that way they wont try to turn left in front of you.

the 'K' rating is the Kelvin-scale temperature a block of carbon would have to be to produce that hue of light.

At least that's what Teh Interwebs tell me.

I say bedazzle(lol) the shit out of oncoming traffic, at least that way they wont try to turn left in front of you.

this!

Love them HIDs! Im hoping to use an HID, just because I want people to be able to see me and hear me. But I got the hearing part all figured out already

Back