Highway Pegs

mitchp

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a set of forward mount highway pegs, to stretch my legs out for extended rides. A fold up mount would be best. I figure they would mount to the forward engine mounts. Can anyone steer me in the right direction. I supose if i had to i could fab something up, but i figure someone has them for sale. The bike is a stock 76C model. Thanks in advance, Mitch. :thumbsup:

I have a complete but crusty set you can have for $10 plus actual shipping.

PM me if you're interested. They'll ship pretty cheap in a USPS Flat Rate Box.

Attachments

• hiway.jpg
    hiway.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 251
Well, you don't actually need the mounting brackets. you can just run a length of threaded rod (3/8") through one of the motor mount holes and use some threaded spacers to mount the pegs from JC Whitney. I call them the "Poor Mans" pegs. I got em...:thumbsup:..I love em..:D

pegs.jpg

Well, you don't actually need the mounting brackets. you can just run a length of threaded rod (3/8") through one of the motor mount holes and use some threaded spacers to mount the pegs from JC Whitney. I call them the "Poor Mans" pegs. I got em...:thumbsup:..I love em..:D

pegs.jpg

Hey Pete, like your idea. I might just get a piece of 3/8 inch rod and thread the ends. I have not seen a JC Whitney catalog in years. They were pretty cool, like looking at the Sears book at Xmas. My bike is is a nice example of the XS 650. Hope the Hiway pegs dont look wrong, but hell Pete, my knees are shot from many race related crashes. I just want to cover some miles on my bike while still grinning. Happy New Year. Mitch :thumbsup:

Mitch,

Here is the JC Whitney catalog item:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/chrome-pla...v-twin-wing-style/p2002580.jcwx?filterid=u0j3

Note: Check for clearance from the headers.

I'm with you as well regarding "looking cool". I just want to be comfortable when I ride and be able to stretch out with my "Old Mans" backrest, my windshield, my "Poor Mans" pegs and my big rack on the back for the beer run....:thumbsup:

mybike3.jpg

PS: I also love my "Rotor Tiller" pull backs as well....:bike:

Mitch,

Here is the JC Whitney catalog item:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/chrome-pla...v-twin-wing-style/p2002580.jcwx?filterid=u0j3

Note: Check for clearance from the headers.

I'm with you as well regarding "looking cool". I just want to be comfortable when I ride and be able to stretch out with my "Old Mans" backrest, my windshield, my "Poor Mans" pegs and my big rack on the back for the beer run....:thumbsup:

mybike3.jpg

Looks like a comfortable ride. Its not an old mans ride unless the windshield is a bifocal. :laugh:

I liked mine too, or at least didn't mind them, but after a few months I started not being able to raise my arms over my head. Finally I couldn't raise them enough to even cross my arms under my head to sleep at night. After some pondering I decided it had to be the handlebars. Nothing else in my life would cause that, short of some disease. So I replaced them with CB750 bars from the early '80s which are the same except the uppers go out to the side more, placing the palms down instead of to the side. A couple of months later the arms problem was gone. Also, with the palm down you can get a much more powerful pull on the brake lever. You know, if I'd gone to see the doctor with that arm problem he'd have wanted to operate. I'm pretty sure it was a rotator cuff issue, which they love to operate on. Scary. They'd at least have put me on some regimen that didn't address the cause.

Looks like a comfortable ride. Its not an old mans ride unless the windshield is a bifocal. :laugh:

A bifocal windshield was too expensive, so I just had the helmet face shield made to prescription instead.....:D

That works well with the hearing aid in the helmet...:thumbsup:

Heck dude just make some... I made these they don"t fold up but I didn't think about folding them up... Next set I make will fold up....

WP_000288.jpg

Heck dude just make some... I made these they don"t fold up but I didn't think about folding them up... Next set I make will fold up....

WP_000288.jpg

If i fab my own mounts, they will look quite similar to yours, with the exception of some swiss cheese holes for reduced weight. Uow thick are your mount plates? Did the stock engine mount bolts work, or did you fab new ones? Any clearance issues? I will be useing fold up style pegs. Your bike is cool as all these 650s are. Like the chrome chainguard. Mitch :thumbsup:

Pete, your threaded rod to mount the pegs only works with the later special style headpipes. On the standard headpipes, they are right inline with the frame and block access to the engine mount holes, so mount plates are needed.
The ones I built look kinda like mitchp's, Except They are all bolt together. With a heavy duty piece of 7/8 inch aluminum tubing with bicycle hand grips as pegs.
In a fall over they do fold up but they don't unfold very well.
Not a great pic of the pegs but you can see them in this pic.
Leo

Attachments

• LostFile_JPG_131460320.jpg
    LostFile_JPG_131460320.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 268
Leo

I talked with a fellow that uses 1" oak dowel.
If dropped in the parking lot it protects the bike.
Dropped at higher speed it doesn't bend the frame.

Downeaster's offer was the most reasonable I've seen.
You'd be hard pressed to build Petes for less than $15.
If you waited till you could scrounge the parts then yes.
Off the shelf pegs, long nuts and allthread would run you 20-30.

Pete, your threaded rod to mount the pegs only works with the later special style headpipes. On the standard headpipes, they are right inline with the frame and block access to the engine mount holes, so mount plates are needed.
The ones I built look kinda like mitchp's, Except They are all bolt together. With a heavy duty piece of 7/8 inch aluminum tubing with bicycle hand grips as pegs.
Not a great pic of the pegs but you can see them in this pic.
Leo

The Right Stuff, Mitch :thumbsup:

Back