hole at top of engine

copernicusdan

XS650 Member
Reaction score
so never noticed it before, but on the carb side up above, there is a hole in engine, the outside looks ribbed
but it blowes out air while bike is running, is that just some kind of breather, or does it need blocked, bike shutoff last nite maybe it was just low idle, or stuck slide, that was stuck til i jiggled cable, but i noticed that when feeling around

so never noticed it before, but on the carb side up above, there is a hole in engine, the outside looks ribbed
but it blowes out air while bike is running, is that just some kind of breather, or does it need blocked, bike shutoff last nite maybe it was just low idle, or stuck slide, that was stuck til i jiggled cable, but i noticed that when feeling around

Hi 'dan,
little cast aluminum spigot? If so it's the engine breather. Stock, it had a black plastic hose set-up that connected to the carb air boxes.
If your airboxes are MIA you can just let it vent oil misted air over the back of the bike or attach a hose that lets it vent onto the
drive chain like on grandpa's Norton.

XS's are heavy breathers with both pistons going up and at the same time. Many solutions, a one way valve is one. do a search on breathers. Make sure you are in a large room.

Last edited:
Back