Honda’s new retro CB350

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Looks a lot like the Royal Enfield 350 to me. 🤔

https://www-rideapart-com.cdn.amppr...n-india/amp/?amp_js_v=0.1#webview=1&cap=swipe

IMG_6369.jpegIMG_6368.jpeg

It just looks so ugly (in my eyes).

Why are all these “retro” bikes just clunky overweight versions on the thing people love?

I think RE gets away with the 350 cause they never had an iconic 350 bike, but that Honda will always be compared to a classic 350 and always be disappointing.

It seems to be for the Indian market so it would make sense to rip off the RE, although it may be hard as the RE is a domestic brand and they seem to have a lot of pride in it. Like Harley in the US (if Harley still made things here haha)

It’s probably a super efficient Jap lightweight, and ultra reliable.
But give me a Velocette or AJS any day. Or even a Honda CB350 of yore.

But that’s the rub… the RE is ALREADY those things (minus being Japanese).

From all accounts, RE builds a pretty bulletproof bike.

The few intercepter owners I’ve talked to swear by em, even the bullet is pretty bomb proof. The Himalayas have a good reputation (for durability).

Just seems like a tough sell in India, and certainly I’d know, being as I’ve no experience selling motorbikes, let alone in India. 👍👍👍

Honda should consult me more often!

350 ? Super ugly and underpowered ?
Who buys this ..

I was in a Eurobike dealership a couple years ago, they sold Ducatis, Triumphs, BMW’s and Royal Enfields. I was chatting with the sales manager and we started talking about the RE 350, I’ll admit to not taking it very seriously and I posed the same question to him. “ Does anybody buy these things?”
He told me it was their number one selling bike. 🤷‍♂️
With its low price, I can see commuters, young riders and people who just want a local run around bike, buying one. When I was in high school, we were all riding small bore enduros and twin cylinder 350’s.

I was in a Eurobike dealership a couple years ago, they sold Ducatis, Triumphs, BMW’s and Royal Enfields. I was chatting with the sales manager and we started talking about the RE 350, I’ll admit to not taking it very seriously and I posed the same question to him. “ Does anybody buy these things?”
He told me it was their number one selling bike. 🤷‍♂️
With its low price, I can see commuters, young riders and people who just want a local run around bike, buying one. When I was in high school, we were all riding small bore enduros and twin cylinder 350’s.
Except for 650 Society Rally rides, my riding is around town and county country road exploring.

I can see commuters, young riders and people who just want a local run around bike, buying one. When I was in high school, we were all riding small bore enduros and twin cylinder 350’s.
On two wheels having power to leave traffic is a safety feature. My first street bike was infact an XS650, I rode much faster bikes after that.
50 hp is the minimum to be safe in traffic on the highway
😎

On two wheels having power to leave traffic is a safety feature. My first street bike was infact an XS650, I rode much faster bikes after that.
50 hp is the minimum to be safe in traffic on the highway
😎
When I bought my first XS650 the national speed limit was 55 and new Corvettes had 180 hp. The XS 650 had plenty of power. Now I enjoy country lanes at 45 or 55 mph.

I think I gotta tend to agree with you.

As a guy who personally owns a gold 1970 CB350 and a Purple ("Iris") 1973 CB-350G, I definitely do not see the resemblance....not even a little?

I'm reminded of when Hinckley Triumph released their version of the venerable Meriden Triumph Bonneville. It wasnt really a very good tribute to the original, save for the paint scheme perhaps.

Kawasaki's W650 looked way more Bonneville than what the new Hinckley Triumph plant produced.

Last edited:
Indian motorbike manufacturers seem locked in on retros: Jawa, RE, BSA all making an indian comeback.
I personally like the RE 650, particularly the GT. But the single pot 535 GT would be my pick, seems to be the most retro of all, both in looks and performance. But, not made anymore.

Attachments

• Royal-Enfield-Continental-GT-right-side-at-2017-Thai-Motor-Expo.jpg
    Royal-Enfield-Continental-GT-right-side-at-2017-Thai-Motor-Expo.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 27
Kawasaki's W650 looked way more Bonneville than what the new Hinckley Triumph plant produced.
Yup.

In some ways, the W650 & W800 are more of a throwback than a retro like the new Goldstar*. Big K got into the retro thing a bit earlier than other manufacturers and for some reason decided to resurrect the W brand. I'm very glad they did. The W1, W2, W3 back in the sixties were BSA A7s built under licence. So they brought back a bike of similar scale, simplicity and technology. When Triumph took the corporate decision to capitalise on their back catalogue, they went for a styling exercise and produced bikes which were reminiscent of old Bonneville's but owed nothing under the veneer.

* just don't get me started. I know, I know, they gotta build something that meets modern rules in various international markets but . . .

For myself, I especially miss my old CL77 305's, I had a pair and rode the chit outta them for years. But I used to ride the old 350's too, pals had 'em. Neh, nice enough. For me no computer and if it has no kicker it's not really a bike...let alone fuel injection! I also really miss carburetors that had ticklers. If I don't wet finger with gas there's something unaesthetic. Bike ought to drip fluids, just a bit... a female quality ;)

Back