Honda’s new retro CB350

I got to ride the reinvented Bonneville back in 2001. I rode it side by side with a bone stock perfectly maintained 1975 Bonneville. The new bike struck me as far more useful than the old one. The old one was far more captivating. I did not want to get off. The friend that gave me the experience still has the 1975. The new bike is a 1200 Bonneville T120 now.
I've enjoyed the use of the RE Interceptor for an entire weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great bike. My XS650s are good runners. I don't see the need for the RE in the stable at this point. Operationally, I don't see much to gain over the old bike, other than the obvious technological advances.

I don't care. I'd have it over a 2023 techno 'vette with no clutch pedal. At least, I could drive a 1978 Corvette myself. (Must have three pedals.)
Very capable manual C5s, 1999-2004 are available in the high teen$ to low twentie$ A friend picked up a 30k mile car for $20k 3 years ago. That is a performance bargain, 385 Hp, 28 mpg at 70 mph.

Very capable manual C5s, 1999-2004 are available in the high teen$ to low twentie$ A friend picked up a 30k mile car for $20k 3 years ago. That is a performance bargain, 385 Hp, 28 mpg at 70 mph.
Agreed...they're very much a bargain for what you get in return. 👍

1700417242033.png

I got to ride the reinvented Bonneville back in 2001. I rode it side by side with a bone stock perfectly maintained 1975 Bonneville. The new bike struck me as far more useful than the old one. The old one was far more captivating. I did not want to get off.

I had a ‘76 Bonneville T-140V and then later a 2007 Bonneville, and that is a pretty good assesment.
They are like apples and oranges.

It’s funny when I bought my old Triumph, I honestly didn’t realize that modern Triumph motorcycles were not at all the same company. I went into a modern dealership parts counter and tried to order some parts for my ‘76 and the guy just laughed. 😆

When Triumph first introduced the Street Twin, I went in to the dealership and test rode one. I gotta say it is a pretty great bike! They really got the classic bike feel right with this one, it’s thin thru the waist, lightweight and nimble and the sound it makes is pure music! I loved it! 😍
IMG_6378.png

Agreed...they're very much a bargain for what you get in return. 👍

View attachment 255502
Speaking of Bonneville and Corvettes... see Pontiac https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac_Bonneville_Special
(flathead straight 8 long-duration cam and four Carter YH side-draft single barrel carburetors breathing through open-mesh race-style screens. Total output was the highest ever for the "eight", rated at 230 bhp (172 kW), though some[3] estimated it at nearly 300 bhp (220 kW).) Sad, they made only 2...
1700493524472.png

Sorry about off topic, but pretty car, and nifty motor... Mom had a '47 ragtop with the lower power inline 8 FH motor...

A friend of mine is from India, and he tells me the 350's have always been huge over there... not so much with the 500 Bullets. Many used for pleasure, but most become family workhorses. My RE dealer said the 350's are selling well. I did note the 650 prices have jumped from when I bought my 2020 Interceptor, in Ravishing Red !.... 😎

I got to ride the reinvented Bonneville back in 2001. I rode it side by side with a bone stock perfectly maintained 1975 Bonneville. The new bike struck me as far more useful than the old one. The old one was far more captivating. I did not want to get off. The friend that gave me the experience still has the 1975. The new bike is a 1200 Bonneville T120 now.
I've enjoyed the use of the RE Interceptor for an entire weekend. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great bike. My XS650s are good runners. I don't see the need for the RE in the stable at this point. Operationally, I don't see much to gain over the old bike, other than the obvious technological advances.

I have a 2022 Bonneville T100 and it is a VERY easy bike to ride. The throttle, friction zone control, gears, brakes, turning, balance. Its just great. Only vintage bikes I have ridden are the Yamahas so I can't compare it to an older Bonnie. I did test ride the RE Interceptor and it was very close but not quite. Higher CG, less power and less refinement. Almost got the RE Interceptor but they discounted the Bonnevile so much that I had to do it. My recently acquired XS650 reminds me a lot of the Bonneville for seating stance now that I have the different standard bars. But the Bonneville not only looks the retro part, but its overall a great riding bike IMO. Smooth as heck.

My wife's 1971 CB350 bought sight unseen $200.00 with title! I about fell over when I went and picked it up! So excited, I bought a "74" CL360 to ride with her. Still own them both, fondly refer to them as the "way back machines!" Low maintenance fun rides...I wouldn't buy a retro...However, the new retro KZ900 is a different story.

Attachments

• 1560590470173.jpg
    1560590470173.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 20
  • cl360.jpg
    cl360.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 20
Back