Honda CA95 custom build

Sonnylynnvick75

XS650 Young Gun
Reaction score
So I picked up two honda benly touring CA95s a month or two ago and finally decided to do something with them. This is what I started with
IMG_1306.jpg

IMG_1888.jpg

Obviously they are rough and I'm a 22 year old college student on a tight budget after the xs650 build.

I pulled the motor out of the red one, found that it has good compression, shifts freely, and what not, I'll check valves and all before I run it. I plan to blast the engine to clean it up.

I've yet to decide which frame to use but I'm leaning toward the whiteish one. I am going to strip it with aircraft paint remover and a wire brush and rattle can clear it.I'll paint a few of the trim pieces satin black and have the wheels painted black, replace the stock seat with a solo seat I'm going to make out of an old motocross seat, and put a pair or motocross handlebars upside down on it.

I'll put on a new battery, plug wires, chain, grips, throttle assembly, petcock, and tires.

Some of you will hate at me for this but let me state 2 reasons. 1st) Every single CA95 i've seen is restored or original, why in the world do you want to be like everyone else? I've always wanted a ratty looking old bike thats just for fun. 2nd) It's my bike and I'll do with it as I please, I'm riding it and I'm owning it so as long as I like it I don't care.

I'll keep this updated, wish me luck.

If you would've contacted me in `77, I could have held back all the new parts for those that we tossed out...

If I was alive in 77 I wouldve snagged them all. I picked up some parts at the barber swap meet saturday, Got the clutch adjustment and sprocket cover, two tubes brand new, and a front brake cable for $24

Those were the "Nicest people on a Honda" machines, anti- Marlin-Brando-dirty-bike, a different world. You'll find some different engineering in those...

Those were the "Nicest people on a Honda" machines, anti- Marlin-Brando-dirty-bike, a different world. You'll find some different engineering in those...

Yeah I've noticed that I've dug into it, The 6v system in itself is different and I think thats another appeal for me to build the Marlin-Brando-dirty-bike its not what you imagine a Benly to look like when you think of one. I feel like a large reason you don't see a custom benly is the bike is somewhat designed to be one way with little to no deviation. It'll be an adventure and hopefully a fun adventure at that.

Welp, messed with it last night, Here was the engine before:
Engine before.jpg

So I got after it with some degreaser but I still need to hit it with some aluma bright or etching wheel cleaner. As you can see I've cleaned up the head pretty good with a wire brush on my 1/2" drill. I'll spray some vinegar or naval jelly mixture on the cast iron jugs

Next step is tearing down the frame to strip and coat all the pieces. Oh and remove the rust from the gas tank.

Motor after a little cleaning, obviously there is much more to do but its getting there.
image.jpg

Reminds me of the first street bike i ever owned in the mid 70's, a Honda 305 Dream.
Same body & gas tank style, but mine had a springer type front suspension, steering damper knob, & internal throttle cable.
Handled like a POS, underpowered, top heavy, & rear brake was prone to lockup.
Damn thing nearly killed me more than once. :yikes:
Graduated shortly after that to a Honda 350 Scrambler, much better handling.
Your restoration will be a great nostalgia piece, as i have not seen one of those running or not for many years. Parts will be nearly impossible to find.
Good luck with the restoration and keep us posted with progress pics.
:thumbsup:

Reminds me of the first street bike i ever owned in the mid 70's, a Honda 305 Dream.
Same body & gas tank style, but mine had a springer type front suspension, steering damper knob, & internal throttle cable.
Handled like a POS, underpowered, top heavy, & rear brake was prone to lockup.
Damn thing nearly killed me more than once. :yikes:
Graduated shortly after that to a Honda 350 Scrambler, much better handling.
Your restoration will be a great nostalgia piece, as i have not seen one of those running or not for many years. Parts will be nearly impossible to find.
Good luck with the restoration and keep us posted with progress pics.
:thumbsup:

Thanks! Sounds like it would be so scary it was fun. Believe it or not You can buy practically every piece to that bike NOS on ebay for a very reasonable price.

i dont know ive had a few of those guys, petcocks tanks carb chain guard. some of the things are pricey and others are not. the 250 and 350 share electrical, although the 250 is harder to come across. the one fifty is kind of its own beast and have heard they have weak tranny's. ive had a couple 350's wish i had some parts for ya. cool bikes! good luck dude.

i dont know ive had a few of those guys, petcocks tanks carb chain guard. some of the things are pricey and others are not. the 250 and 350 share electrical, although the 250 is harder to come across. the one fifty is kind of its own beast and have heard they have weak tranny's. ive had a couple 350's wish i had some parts for ya. cool bikes! good luck dude.

Thanks man, The mileage on the engine is 18,071 so its just in its prime from what I can tell. The petcock deal is what I'm most amazed by. I've seen the $60 conversion to new style and I like it but don't like the price. I'm considering cutting a round piece the size of the petcock out of 1/2" aluminum and then drilling the center for an outlet, connect a hose to it and put an inline fuel shut off and filter in. I'd rather make stuff than buy it. The NOS tanks are ridiculously priced though. I found this guy at the Barber swap meet Saturday down in louisiana who gave me his card and said he had every single NOS part for the CA95 and was very reasonable. Name was Orazio cycles

I have a Ca95 like no other one out there!! Has a small sidedraft on it...and its forsale..
want to see it?

Holy crap it has been awhile since I've thought about this thread let alone logging on to the site. I've picked the project back up and am in the "home stretch I guess you could say. All that is left is to finish cleaning the engine up, finishing the wiring, and buttoning it all up. heres where I'm at so far :
IMG_3011.jpg

IMG_3047.jpg

IMG_3042.jpg

As of now, the engine has been torn down to the cases, Pistons removed, drain plug broke free, cylinders are being blasted and honed. then its time to reassemble. Body and wiring are practically done. Heres a shot as of late:
IMG_3720.jpg

Nice! I put new tires and brakes on mine and rattle can cleared whatever showed up after one pass with the power washer. One side is red and one side is green Because whoever painted it green in the late 60s did a bad job and half of it came off with the pressure washer and half of it didn’t. I think I’m gonna nickname my baby dream “Christmas” because it’s red and green.

Back