Honda Coil

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
IMG_0272.PNG
I noticed the other day when I was doing some searching regarding coils that someone had used a 79-83 Honda CB coil. I can't find the dang thread now to save my life. Has anyone ever used one of these---I know the OHM is at 2.5. Thoughts?

Do a search for MP08 coil. It's a Honda coil I've been using a long time. I think Purplezinger was the first here to use it. The one you have will probably work if both sides measure reasonably close to stock for XS650. I'd hesitate to use one that measured less than stock on the primary side (could endanger TCI).

PS if you buy a coil on ebay, don't overlook getting the screw-on caps with it.

Last edited:
The reason I looked at this one is because there was someone on here who posted it with a link. They said it worked. Thanks for your input---appreciate it.

Honda guy here, DON'T USE THAT COIL. That coil has the worse reputation of all coils ever used. The smaller next generation Honda coil has a great reputation. The smaller coil was used on CBR's, 1500cc GoldWings and many other Hondas. I pay an average of $8 for the newer Honda coils on ebay. I've installed the smaller coil on my Bobber with ballast resistor for the points. Also used it in '81 CB750C's and 1200 GoldWing, have great confidence in that generation of Honda coils.

Scott

^That is the MP08 :) Here is a single for $14, free shipping. You need to make an adapter to fit it in the original position, which is a piece of metal about 1 1/2" x 3/4" x 1/8". Drill a bolt hole in each end of the metal. When you have the coil in your hand you'll see what you need to do. Very easy though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/91-Honda-Go...ash=item282204ff5e:g:m~cAAOSwh2xX-pJd&vxp=mtr

BUT this coil works with original TCI. Going by your other thread, it probably isn't what you want.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply--I have another thread I started because I talked to 5twins and he is thinking that I will burn up my points. I have a PMA and regular points--do I need to do something different? Also, what about the condenser?

^I notice above mrtwowheel is using an MP08 with a resistor to increase the resistance of the primary to not burn up the points.

^It would be helpful if you told him what resistor and what the wiring is. The last time I saw any points was about 1979.

Yes, it gets confusing when 2 threads are going on the same topic.
I have used the Echlin ICR23 ballast resistor (Napa Auto Parts) , which I measured at 1.3 ohms. I used it with an Accel 3.3 ohm dual output coil. This was during the first year I owned the bike, using the stock dual set of points. It worked very well!

When I changed over to the Pamco, I simply removed the ballast resistor. That was 9 years ago and I'm still using the same Accel coil.
Its an excellent coil................#140403S is its number. Maybe too expensive for most lads at $115 USD now. I paid only $68 USD in 2007, and that included plug wires.
Anyway here's the wiring diagram again. Add the ballast resistor in series with the coil primary, if you are using a 3 ohm coil.
Basic points single coil dual points.JPG

Here is another question---how many places do any of you ground your wires? I know there are blinkers, headlight, etc. Do you generally run two wires to the blinker or do you ground at your attachment point? Same with the headlight? How about the Sparx? The HHB PMA? I am wiring this bike with all new wiring so wondering what is usual.

Thanks

Back