Hopefully new 75 XS650b owner...Need new buyer help (have pics)

estcstm3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking to buy a 1975 xs650b. I have spoken with the owner and the bike came from Illonios the bike looks in great shape. I havent seen it in person will tomorrow. The owner is riding the bike now and says starts on 1 kick (i know not to beleive everyting a PO says). He did mention that their are pod filters on the bike. What else should I watch out for? How much do you think is fair this one is list for 1900?

I am more familar with UJM GS Suzuki's, so consider me a newb for the XS650;s, but how can you beat one of these old twins.

Thanks!

Attachments

• xs650side.jpg
    xs650side.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 125
  • xs650engine1.jpg
    xs650engine1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 133
  • xs650 engine2.jpg
    xs650 engine2.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 107
  • xs650otherside.jpg
    xs650otherside.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 113
Congrats - nice looking stock bike, a keeper. Hope there is no sawsall in your plans.

Thanks! No I plan to keep it very OEM, I am fan of clean true to form Japanese bikes. No Bobbing, and no real cafeing eithier. The most would be some new bars as I find too upright to be uncomfortable. Any upgrades are going to be suspension and that like......

Do you think $1900 is high?
How do people feel about the pod filters?
I noticed the black is that ignition cable, that looks upgraded? Again I dont know much about these bikes so im trying to learn as much as I can before tomrrow to avoid a big headache. I am looking for a runner.

Last edited:
I believe it is a fair price based on what I paid for my '74 in the DC Metro area, but ultimately it is worth what you are willing to pay for it. If it starts and runs, and you want it, buy it. If you are trying to determine if you can get your $$ out of it later, I dunno.

Not so much its just that as I have not been researching these models just trying to figure out what decent runners go for. I know what a good deal on a GS suzukis(GS650G, 750E, etc.. is) the XS650 is a new ballgame for me. Just trying to gauge if I should hold out or if this is pretty fair.

I bought a XS650B for $1000 2 years ago.

About as cosmetically clean as yours, one start kick (electric starter would have needed a fix). 100% complete except for the PO making some bars from Iron pipe.

$1900 for that example seems doable. I'd personally offer $1500 and go from there.

If it is the runner he says take a compression tester and test it and listen for a rattly cam chain or inspect the tension rod and check to see how much movement it has when the bike is running.

Other usual stuff like the condition of the chain and sprockets and test the charging system

Read through this to help give you some ideas

I have a 1975 XS650B with 17,800 miles that I purchased in July. It had last been registered in 2006. I did a complete tune up with new plugs, points, condensers, float needles/seats, chain/sprockets, Uni-Pods. I originally planned on keeping it but a family member has offered me a super deal on a CB750. I would take a lot less than $1,900. If interested PM me for more info and pics.

Back