Hopping Cars and Picking Trash

I still have a '79 Sansui receiver. UL 560 watts. That thing will wake the dead. I still have a NIB Technics turntable from 1980 and most of my records. My JBL studio monitors need some work. I've been meaning to do that for some time. Teac tape deck belts rotted off.

I still have a '79 Sansui receiver. UL 560 watts. That thing will wake the dead. I still have a NIB Technics turntable from 1980 and most of my records. My JBL studio monitors need some work. I've been meaning to do that for some time. Teac tape deck belts rotted off.
Got a pic of the Sansui ??

I still have a Nakamishi Dragon cassette player. Needs belts. and the Technic SL-QL-5 turntable. Both bought in the mid 80's. Neither work but can't part with it. Need to get them to the stereo hospital one of these days.

I’ve been picking trash since I was about 6.
I suppose it came naturally to my brother and me, as we grew up in a low-income family, completely unsupervised, given no allowance and were taken to “thrift stores” where were fitted with other people’s discarded clothes. We stole candy from the corner store and threw eggs at the nasty dry cleaner who labelled us, along with 5 other kids, “The Hoodlums at the Corner.” During the winter we “hopped cars” and buses (now called bumper surfing) at stop signs. And we picked through our neighbor’s trash on Tuesdays.
These days I no longer make a pastime out of it :), but if someone puts stuff out on a table with a sign saying, “Free Stuff”, I’m game.
I was riding through Skaneateles on the ’83 a few days ago, and just such a sign caught my eye. This is the town where Bill and Hillary vacationed at their friend’s house during his presidency, so the pickings can sometimes be “upscale.” I went for the gizmo, a Radio City signal generator, Model 701. I hadnt brought the knapsack along, so I was sorta stuck on the transport issue. It was heavy. But I spied a large spool of bell wire (free) and a some silk tablecloths, and voila !
View attachment 103969
And there was an Army surplus tube PA system amp, which I passed over, as I'm into 70's stereophonics.
I also left the 1980's Carver Sonic Hologram Generator.
View attachment 103971
SO, I know what a visual hologram is; who could forget Data's holographic remembrance of Tasha Yar ??
But, what the heck is a sonic holographic generator ?

Hi 'dude,
Gawd!
Even though a sidecar ain't everyone's choice your '83 don't even have saddlebags let alone a luggage rack.
HTF you gonna haul home more than a single freebie without places on the bike to put stuff, eh?
Kudos on the bellwire and tablecloth instant carrier though.
Far better than the sportbike rider I saw holding a 12-pack of tinnies on his tank with his elbows as negotiated downtown traffic.
OTOH, me and my sidecar and two luggage racks (not the saddlebags though, one's full of tools and t'other's full of rainsuit) would have hauled the lot home.

Last edited:
I still have a Nakamishi Dragon cassette player. Needs belts.
I remember that was one of the most expensive cassette decks. I had a Teac that was really good. Very clear and punchy sound.

Not literally free, but I went into a Goodwill store and there was a studio reel to reel there. I can't remember the brand now to save my life, but Reference Recordings used a modified version of it to make their superrecords in the 80s. It was open and it was amazing to see like that. It had several motors and they were the size of an xs650 starter motor. There was a guy standing there looking at it with no idea what it was and I had to let him know it was worth a fortune thirty years ago. Buying it briefly crossed my mind but I recognized pretty modest digital recorders of today are much better.

In Austin, next door to another Goodwill is a computer museum. Nobody's there and you can just do whatever. There are a few early PCs but the thing that got my attention was a Cray supercomputer from the 80s. It its day it was the ultimate of the ultimate. Government stuff. Universities competing to rent time on it. Only a few of them. Like a Moon race with Fujitsu in Japan for speed. It was opened up and you could just explore to your heart's content! It was very hard for me not to swipe something off of it. Some little connector or something. It was very educational to see how it was wired up; the techniques used.

Something that will always stick with me was a common connector in it was the kind where you crimp a U-shaped piece down and it cuts through the insulation and makes contact with the wire -- the same connector that you will find internet people today will not trust with their car stereo. LOL. Double and triple LOL.

Last edited:
Got a pic of the Sansui ??
No, but it looks like this. Mine is perfect.
7659134268_210e0b31c2_b.jpg

That signal generator would make pretty cool garage art. I like stuff like that.

That's what I envision trash day looks like in front of 2M's house , old flux capacitors, 50 jigawatt carbonite generators , sonic transducers, you know , just the junk he doesn't need anymore. :cool:
images.jpg

"Marty, the flux capacitor"

'Dude,
Long ago, in Syracuse, there was a tailor shop called "Robert Hall". For us, that became: "Robert threw it out, and WE hauled it in." So now all these road-side finds are Robert Halls. Amazing the stuff people throw out. Gas grills are the easiest ones. Usually just need a good scrubbing and a new burner. I recently picked up a guitar, in its case. I felt bad just taking it, so I gave the guy $5 for it. The strings cost me $8. Now I have a campfire beater.

Back