Horn not working

peanut

XS650 enthusiast & inveterate tinkerer
Top Contributor
Reaction score
.......... last week I rode my bike to the local MOT test centre and everything was fine until he checked the lights signals and horn .....None of them worked.?
As I had the previous day stripped and cleaned the ignition switch I guessed it must be something I had cocked up as the ignition switch feeds a 12v+ supply to all of those componants.

However when I checked the ignition switch it was not receiving any power ? wtf ?

I checked the fuse again and sure enough it had blown.....no wonder the bloody horn, signals and lights didn't work.Both I and the MOT technician had checked all the fuses and missed it however in my defence the garage had no natural lighting at all.

In fact to give you an idea of how this rare and old traditional village Garage looks there are a series of buckets on hooks along the wall to distribute when it rains.
To check the wheel alignment they use a length of 3" x 2" timber ....I kid you not !:laugh2::lmao:

Anyway... I digress . So the reason for this post is I had some time on my hands and rather than mow the lawn or do any number of household chores I was supposed to do ,I decided instead to construct an electrical diagram for the Horn. I thought it might save someone else laboriously tracing electrical circuits .

Please let me know of any bloopers so that I can amend it .
Yamaha XS650 Horn circuit.JPG

Last edited:
Your fuse wiring is wrong. Only the main 20A fuse is fed by the battery and then runs to the ignition switch. The brown "power out" wire from the ignition switch runs back to the other three fuses to provide them with "switched" power.

thanks 5 twins .drawing amended

I would normally have pulled all the spade connectors and done a multimeter continuity test on the fuse box but the po has replaced the original fuse box with an aftermarket one and done a right bodge on it and I need to get the bike to a MOT retest tomorrow so I thought it best not to chance pulling it about.

I suspect that it has been incorrectly wired up or has the wrong internal bus bar.

Last edited:
Back