Horn

It only draws 6amps, so you could most likely use it without a relay. Yes, I'm using a relay on my bike, but that's just because I was experimenting with dual horns. Just the one by itself should work just fine without a relay. Worst case, a relay is inexpensive and fairly easy to install one.

I like the price too
Thanks !!

I have a pair of Bosch Bavarian Peasant Warmers, rescued from a Beemer.
They're loud enough.

Not as bad as tires or oil
but it's good to hear others take on what they have that works because obviously the stock ones suck

stock ones suck
They’re pretty chrome bling on the Specials.

Reality is that collisions with locomotives at RR crossings are all too common. If they can’t hear the horn on a train, there’s nothing you can put on your bike that they can hear. Drive like they’re all trying to kill you because they are.

They’re pretty chrome bling on the Specials.

Reality is that collisions with locomotives at RR crossings are all too common. If they can’t hear the horn on a train, there’s nothing you can put on your bike that they can hear. Drive like they’re all trying to kill you because they are.

If you're third in line for a green light and the idiot in front is still peckin' away on his phone, they won't hear the frog with strep throat behind 'em. Trust me, I know of these things... ;)

They will hear my loud as fuck Fiamm

Best horns I’ve used on my cars and some bikes are the Stebel Nautilus Air Horn. Very loud and gets one’s attention quickly. Only challenge is mounting space and having it look good on a bike. On bikes like my former Vstrom it fit and worked out well. I’m going to try to fit one to the Moto Guzzi later this spring. I find the factory Road Runner horns inadequate. Can get them in chrome finish too.

IMG_4197.jpeg
IMG_4182.png

Last edited:
I have been looking for a louder horn that would not require a relay. Then I saw this post with a favorable mention of Hella # 012588061. So I bought one and tested vs the original horn on my 78E.

The OEM horn is 12V, 2.5A Nikko,,, with 105dB stamped on it

The new horn is Hella # 012588061, 12V 1.5A designed for 108 +/-3 dB (per the box)

1709362277953.png

I used a decibel meter app on iPhone with the phone set up a meter away from the horn. Held the horn button until the reading stabilized.
1709362312086.png

Here are the results:

Both horns are pretty much on spec

1709362339161.png

The OEM horn is 106dB and the Hella horn is at ~ 110db. This makes the intensity of sound from the Hella horn ~ 2,5X higher. The Hella horn is substantially higher pitched as is evidenced in the decibel chart above. The intensity peaks in the acoustic energy are moved to higher frequencies for Hella. The perceived difference is hardly distinguishable, though. Here is what ChatGPT thinks: “Given that the difference in intensity levels between 110 dB and 106 dB is 4 dB, it is likely to be perceived as noticeably louder, but the exact perception can vary among individuals. In general, a 4 dB increase in sound level is likely to be perceived as somewhat louder, but the subjective experience may also depend on factors such as the frequency of the sound, the individual's hearing sensitivity, and the context in which the sound is occurring” Pretty much my experience.

Now asking Chat GPT how much further would a 110dB horn be heard I get: “the 110 dB horn would be heard at a distance of approximately 1.58 times the distance at which the 106 dB horn can be heard under similar conditions. This suggests that the 110 dB horn would generally project sound farther than the 106 dB horn.”

For whether the Hella horn is more audible from inside the car, Chat GPT says:

1709362378838.png

So I will keep and install the new horn for now, though I think there are better options with relay. I used to have a Fiamm on a Buell, and that sounded and worked great, but will probably need a relay…

+1 Sir .. On the measurement I Don't remember the Math now but the dB Scale is not linear 4.1 dB increase it not like the paycheck increase
Perhaps someone else are into this

A quick googling with machine translation

Doubling the sound pressure level means an increase of 3 dB. In order for us to experience that the volume is doubled, an increase in the sound pressure level by 10 dB is required. This is independent of where on the scale one starts.

Yes, as I mentioned, the actual increase in pressure is 2.5x. The way we perceive if it is logarithmic and it is noticeably louder but not dramatically

+1 Sir .. On the measurement I Don't remember the Math now but the dB Scale is not linear 4.1 dB increase it not like the paycheck increase
Perhaps someone else are into this

A quick googling with machine translation

Doubling the sound pressure level means an increase of 3 dB. In order for us to experience that the volume is doubled, an increase in the sound pressure level by 10 dB is required. This is independent of where on the scale one starts.

To continue on the topic, I tried out the Wolo low tone disc horn (https://wolo-mfg.com/model-300-2t-disc-horn-low-tone.html) and find it the best option so far. It is louder than stock and has a nice low tone. It is rated at 112 dB, but the phone app reads 108 dB. The horn is specified at 4.5Amp while the stock horn is at 2.5Amp, so maybe there is not enough current going through the Wolo horn without a relay to achieve the full 112dB. This one is a keeper for now.

1709959974179.png

Back