hot coils, and no flash LED's

Dusty

Dusty
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been here a couple of weeks reading posts. I am now at the worst part of my build. ( wiring ). I have followed all the wiring diagrams that I have found, they all show the same wiring for a points bike. I have spark at the points, and at the plugs. (it does'nt look real hot, but it's there) If I leave the key on for a minute or so, my coils get real hot. Is this from the points being closed ?
I have LED turn signals and can't get them to flash unless I put a standard light inline with them. Is there a ballist, or something I can get to load these, or do I have to hide some inline lights in the head light bucket ?

I'm not so sure about the coils, but for the flashers you need a resitance in line for the unit to work. You can either use resitor, or get a flasher unit which is load independant.

There are a few threads which cover the specifics, I believe.

Posted via Mobile

Yes hot coil when the ign is on and points closed is normal. I blew a few coils on a different bike that way recently.

get a electronic flasher for the LEDs, why take the resistance of the lightbulbs out and then put it back in with a ballast?

Are either of your coil wires grounded somewhere? That would cause a hot coil. Ignition unit could be bad, or a short in a wire.

www.customdynamics.com $15 bucks plus 5 shipping use them in all my bikes really simple to hook up.Go to flasher relays and order the standard DOT flasher relay little black box with a blue and black wire. Blue goes to brown w/white stripe,black goes to brown / power. Now u can use any light you wish to use

Thanks for all the help. Bike is running and charging, and flashers are flashing.
My next problem is that the bike will only run with the choke one notch out. What is this telling me ? Dirt somewhere ? I took the brass plugs out of my air mix screws. What is the base line for these once they are screwed in and seated ? Thee turns out ? two turns out ? I'm sure this has all been talked about before. Sorry.

bike will only run with the choke one notch out. once they are screwed in and seated ? Thee turns out ? two turns out ?
pretty close 2 to 3 turns Run one notch out, at idle, above idle, WOT, everywhere? Are you running airboxes, what pipes, which carbs do you have? engine mods? what main jets? where are your taper jets set?

I think the carbs are 34's.( from an 80 or 81 650 ) I have no air cleaners yet. No engine mods. Stock cut off pipes with slip on mufflers. Jets are stock, as well as the needles. Bike will run to warm up, and if I take it off choke, it dies. It runs real good at partial choke. I was able able to blast it around my block. The bike is not together enough to take for a long ride ,

I would put on some sort, any sort of air cleaner(s) and see what she does. No air cleaner will make it go pretty lean.

Back