How cold can you go?

I started riding in my teens but now upper 60's is my thing. ;)
An electric seat pad came in the mail yesterday.
But round here it's more about ice n salt than temps.

@GLJ and I froze our asses coming home from the Ozarks rally last April, off and on heavy rains for several hours as temps dropped to the mid 40's we were on the bikes for 8 hours? A stop at a dollar store for plastic bags, newspapers, and hand warmer packets helped. Without the handlebar windshields we couldn't have done it. 🐔
Is there an Ozarks rally this year?

Do ATVs count? My brother has a small river flowing through his farm. This river has slow deep sections and shallow faster sections. It meanders and winds about and empties into lake Michigan. When we get 5 degrees and below for 4 or 5 days it is frozen enough close to the shallows that ATVs can go from solid ice to shallow water pretty much all the way up and down the river. This happens rarely. Some years not at all. But, we stay with light machines. Honda 90 (kids ATV} is the best. We dress in Carharts and Sorrels. Brother and I have a number of friends who join us and we have had 6 in the group acouple of times. We pack brandy and beer and have a grand old time averaging 5 or 10 mph. The river flows through parks, shooting club, a couple of golf courses and farms and semi rural country side. We meet folks cutting firewood from deadfalls, ice skaters, CC skiers and once a pair of golfers practicing their wedges up and down the ice. 5 or six years ago we did a January ride at -10 degrees. Popping open a beer at a rest stop, it froze almost instantly, iced beer pushing through the opening. Yes we have all gone in, the worst part there is when water gets inside the boot.

I don't mind riding in cold weather to much but round here that means the roads will be covered with massive amounts of salt until about March. I have no desire to subject any of my motorcycles to that. So riding riding is out of the question for me until the roads get cleared.

1641568216143.jpeg
1641568273373.jpeg

2 light weight 200/250 cc machines. Power doesnt help with now traction. Probably 5F that day.

Drove my son's sidecar rig back home from the far side of town (He had gotten ethanol poisoning at his farewell party)
His Mom ferried him home in the family car and I was tasked to bring the rig home in borrowed riding gear on 4" of snow
at minus 5 degrees C. The things you do for family, eh?

Back