How do determine which clutch cable to get

crazyazcat

40 yr old motovirgin
Reaction score
Long time lover, first time rider here. My friend just gave me his old 1981 XS650. It needed a little cosmetic work (Gas cap needed replacement, duct tape holding on turn signals, etc.) Everything is in order now except the clutch cable. I can't adjust it any further so I need to replace it. I'm new to motorcycles in general but have a good working knowledge of mechanics. When I looked up replacement cables for my bike there were quite a few options. Is there a way from the VIN number to know which version of the bike I have?

Thanks in advance from the EXTREMELY new guy.

-=Rob=-

You may not need a cable just yet. There's two adjustments for it, one up at the bars and another down under that little chrome disc on the left side cover. Proper cable adjustment involves setting both. Your manual will explain the procedure.

When you're shopping for parts, 1981 is all you need to know. However, lots of parts from other years will fit, especially with the engine. Also, lots of sellers on ebay state the wrong year for their parts, often as not incompatible items, so you have to go by the picture, really. Ebay is a good source of parts.

Many if not most parts are still available new through Yamaha dealers. OEM part is usually the best bet. Some people don't trust 30 year old new old stock rubber, but what I've seen looks like new to me. Various seals and vibration mountings. If it's in fact 30 years old it seems to hold up well unused on the shelf.

And...some of the after market parts are fine and some are literally unserviceable, from the same suppliers. Parts that will not fit or will immediately break. Search old posts or start a thread and let members here give you a thumbs up or down on them. People here know the good and the bad.

@ xjwmx what if a PO put on standard bars? He would want to look for a standard's cable instead of a specials cable.

Welcome to the forum Rob.
Some things you will learn over time, some things come quicker.
Part of the knowledge is where to buy so a valid first question.
As xjwmx said OEM parts quality can't be beat. But the price is sometimes breathtaking.
650Central sells an E-Z pull cable that has a good reputation.
Mikesxs cables not so much.
Then there are other aftermarket suppliers such as Motion Pro. Generally a good reputation for quality and price.
Get a manual and READ the tech section. You will be miles ahead (of some).

Yes, learn to adjust the cable first, as 5twins said. However, if you need a new cable, go to www.650central.com. His E-Z pull clutch cable comes in 3 different lengths. Measure your existing cable to know what length you need to buy.

The E-Z pull cable is heavy duty and works extremely well.

Thanks for the responses everyone! I've had issues with Mikesxs already just asking a simple question so I gave up on them right away.

I didn't know about the other adjustment. I just adjusted the handlebar one and it came all the way unthreaded. Can't wait to get it all nice and pretty. It may be old, but I think it's a sharp bike!

-=Rob=-

Back