How do I eliminate the reserve lighting device?

MrBillohnooo

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I did a search, and found a link, link no worky. I have a 77 model. trying to simplify the wiring without starting from scratch till winter.
Thanks!

Have tried that...does not seem to work on my 1977....jumpered out the safety relay...which worked for a little while...it's all very weird. Put everything back to the way it was ...no headlight...everything else is working perfectly...and yes the headlight bulb is good...anyone got any ideas???...ideally I'd like to get rid of both relays and I'll take my chances with the starter engaging accidentally.

Good info guys ! thanks !!!!
I do not like needless BS like that Reserve lighting relay .... as if I could not tell my low beam was out myself ! fer heavon's sake ! so they add the relay and charge us more ! FOR NOTHING USEFULL !!!! typical !
I will get rid of another "safty feture on my bike" Soon it seams ! ( remember blue/yeller and blue/Black ! ) LOL
a side stand that kills the engine is a Horrable idea ! who thought that one up ?
and don't get me started about the lugs over the pilot jet screws that one cost me 3 weeks of work !!!!! Grrrrrr !
new fangled high tech contrapions.... why add all that stuff on a motorcycle? their not sofas t recliners their supposed to be basic ...engine and wheels and a big gastank ... instead you get all the other safty features and a small gastank ! ..... I miss the late 1960's life was simplier back then! LOL
..... You know I had a 1994 Honda 1100 Shadow, it didn't have half this safty stuff on it... or I just never ran into it...I did remove the side stand switch though.... it seams the more modern the bike the more screwed up it is !
sometimes the manifacturers of motorcycles seam to have their head ...um... in the clouds !
I mean there are times when a Motorhome on 2 wheels would be nice..... but not very often, but I've yet to see one with a potty and shower yet.... giv'em time though, I'm sure they'll make one... along with every safty feture known to man so you never have to think on your own ! LOL
HEHEHEH don't mind me I'm stuck in a rut !
later all !
Bob...........

Have tried that...does not seem to work on my 1977....jumpered out the safety relay...which worked for a little while...it's all very weird. Put everything back to the way it was ...no headlight...everything else is working perfectly...and yes the headlight bulb is good...anyone got any ideas???...ideally I'd like to get rid of both relays and I'll take my chances with the starter engaging accidentally.

Hi OF: the headlight thingy....yeah, there are varying opinions on it but I strongly urge you to stick with the Starter Safety Relay or SSR.

Engaging the starter accidentally would do more than just munch your starter. Those expensive little gears run in the crankcase / gearbox oil and so the debris from an accidental starter engagement would floating around with the crank bearings and timing chain and could do some serious harm.

Anyhow - from what I can tell, the SSR is actually pretty reliable and I put out a note on how to check it and clean it. Basically, you just remove the two tiny JIS screws (looks like Phillips but isn't) that hold on the stamped metal cover and give the components inside it a blast with electrical contact cleaner and a gentle dusting off with a toothbrush. Mine was full of what looked like a birds nest and that made my starter intermittent - but after the 5 minute cleaning job, it hasn't missed a single start in 6-8 months.

Also, you can check that your starter switch is well grounded to the handlebar and that the handlebar is grounded to the frame. If the horn beeps loudly, the bars are grounded because the horn switch works just like the starter button in that it simply completes the ground side of a high current draw circuit. You can check the continuity of the starter switch with an ohm meter set on a low scale.

Waa-laa - if all of that is good - then the starter safety relay should function well for another 40 years.

Pete

Last edited:
Oldfart1951.....
this is Oldfart1952,,,,, hehehehehehe How do you know your headlight BULB is still good did you check it with a VTOM or trouble light or hook it to the battery with jumpers ? or are you Assuming that sense you just bought it its still good ?
sounds to me like you blew the bulb ! and probably the fuze as well !!!!!
take a VTOM and check the fuzes make sure you have power there first (both sides of the fuze to ground through the meter
if their good there check the headlight with the engine running at idle.....make sure you have voltage to it if not that's your problem !
(if no power to the headlight flip the high /low headlight a few times see it it comes on.)
from there your on your own ! hope this helped some ! LOL
i'm not sure if the headlight dies if the Rectifier is bad or not..... Maxpete probably knows !
Bob..........

I removed mine because there was no way to know if it itself fails safe.

Something cool you can do while you're there is re-purpose the indicator light as a generator failed light. Pamco Pete's idea I think. It's like an igntion light and comes on when you turn the key on (generator isn't working yet) and goes out when the engine starts, and stays out unless there's a generator problem. Very easy to do, just reroute a wire back in that same general area.

I removed mine because there was no way to know if it itself fails safe.

Something cool you can do while you're there is re-purpose the indicator light as a generator failed light. Pamco Pete's idea I think. It's like an igntion light and comes on when you turn the key on (generator isn't working yet) and goes out when the engine starts, and stays out unless there's a generator problem. Very easy to do, just reroute a wire back in that same general area.

can anyone clarify this... seemed a little vague.

I am assuming a wire from the indicator light to the generator? A specific location? Couldnt seem to find anything in the archives.

can anyone clarify this... seemed a little vague.

I am assuming a wire from the indicator light to the generator? A specific location? Couldnt seem to find anything in the archives.

The info you’re looking for is here , read
Post #574
http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-60th-birthday-present.47639/page-29#post-504151
http://www.xs650.com/threads/my-60th-birthday-present.47639/page-29#post-504151
C5F59F62-FE9B-41CE-B40B-DD8AAE83F918.jpeg

Mailman - thanks for the reply - I will run my jumper like that but I was looking for the specifics of using the indicator light as a generator failed light as referenced in the quote. Seems like that could come in handy.

If headlight still isn't working, make sure you check the soldering joints in the hi/lo switches. I've had to resolder those on every XS I've owned.

Thank you 5twims! That nailed it.

2x - thanks for the tip! Headlights work fine at the moment but I may need it In The future!

Back