how do i get back pressure with straight pipes

dimitri

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hi all. i just put 2 straight pipes 1 7/8'' , with a couple of reducers to fit the stock head pipes. they go a little past the rear sprocket. The question is...can i get the same back pressure as stock.. by capping the end of the pipe with the same diameter hole as on the original muffler? i've heard of stainless steel wool and lolly pop ideas but, how do i know how much wool to stuff in. As for loudness , i like about 30% louder than stock compare to open pipes. it is an 83 xs650 stock carbs and jets. Thanks in advance for any advice.

stock headpipes? maybe jet up one step instead of trying to restrict your exhaust.

they don't allow open pipes here in NY, and i do want the back pressure so i don't ruin the engine. just got a new rotor and reg/rect and money is tight for new mufflers

Google "straight pipe baffle". You'll get lots of hits. These are simple bolt-in louvered baffles and don't cost that much. Some can even be wrapped with fiberglass to make them even quieter.

Those pipes have more backpressure not less. The reason is the formed exhaust pulse will degenerate in the overly large pipe and there will be no pull from the exhaust. To get more power and better running your engine needs smaller diameter pipes. Make a new set of double wall pipes is best.

You can try to get by with an anti reversion valve/cone at teh port and a 1.5" OD reducer at teh outlet of the large pipe. Make the reducer as long as you can get it.

Even correct open pipes will perform different at various rpm. By damping this wave motion with a muffler or baffle the pipe will perform like it should.

Tom Graham

I've read that the exhaust tips from 60's VW beetles slip into an inch and 3/4 pipe and work well. I'm going to try this when I get that far along. I was figuring on cutting them shorter and securing with a self tapper or something.

You can get a set of EPO's from mike's xs or other places. Some call them torque cones. It's pretty common practice in the chopper world for those looking for some more low end torque from their motor.

thanks guys, you just put plenty on my plate, so off to reading i go. By the way... is there a free site where i can reduce a picture ? i'm having a hard time placing one here.

2 hours later and i have a pic in my album now. As per exhaust , i'll try the baffle inserts . As per seat, no luck yet, I have 3 of them...the original is bulky and torn, the solo seat from a sportster is brand new but is like a rock...and a 74 tx650 that looked good on the pic from far,< got it from a member here> the foam is crumbled and flying on the wind. The weather is perfect here, cool for the engine and sunny for the twistys and here i am doing laps in the alley.

Someone mentioned VW's.
Back in the day, they put high performance headers and an open megaphone exhaust. You saw them with a ball in the exhaust. I thought it was for keeping the weather out.
I was told it was to keep cool air from being pulled back thru the exhaust into the engine as it cools off. When this cool air hit the hot exhaust valves, it can warp the valves. Warped valves leak and burn.
So if that can happen with that much pipe between the valves and outside air, it can happen with just a few feet of open pipe.
I agree with the others about using a good muffler. I have short Emgo mufflers. A straight thru with about a 1 inch exit hole. The bike runs good. The sound is louder than stock. You can hear it at most speeds up to 60-65 before wind noise over takes the exhaust noise.The stock pipes you won't hear much over 30-35.
Putting a baffle tube in the pipe will quiet it down. Most are for 1.75 and 2 inch pipe.
It will run better in the rpm range you will ride it in the most 3000-4500 rpms. The straight open pipes will run best well above the 7000 rpm range. The TPO's and EPO's help with the 1.75 head pipes.
The stock head pipes won't need the torque cone that mount up by the heads. I don't think you will need the ones that mount down at the mufflers.
On yours you need to hook the adapters for the 1 7/8's pipe to the inner head pipe. The stock head pipe has a inner and outer pipe. The inner pipe carries the exhaust, the outer is just for looks. If you hook the 1 7/8's pipe to the outer pipe you will get leaks out the vent holes.
If you can't find baffles to fit your 1 7/8's pipe you might want to go with the 1.75 or 2 inch pipe.
On your seat cutting down the stock foam or replacing the stock foam with a high quality carpet padding makes a good seat. I trimmed my seat foam down to about 1/2 inch thick and cut two layers of the carpet padding to fit and redid the upholstery. Not as pretty as a pro would do but didn't cost much. Found the vinyl on a couch setting out waiting for the trash man.
Leo

Back