How do I remove this side of the forks????

JustinB

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm down to this on the front end and am stuck...

Can someone help provide some guidance?

Thanks!
Justin

Attachments

• 2014-02-10 19.43.13.jpg
    2014-02-10 19.43.13.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 154
The axle should slide right out. It's just a slip fit in the fork leg. You sure stripped a crazy amount of shit off that thing. I would have concentrated on getting the axle out first before I went any further, but that's just me. Good luck now.

What 5twins said. Put something (your wife's pillow) under it to catch the hub assembly and while holding the fork leg elevated a bit, give the threaded end of the axle a bump with a soft hammer. Should drop right out. Unless of course it's seized in the leg. Will it rotate?

roy

It does rotate. I'm going to put the nut on it right now and then give it a good ole' smacking. I'll report back!

I would have concentrated on getting the axle out first before I went any further, but that's just me. Good luck now.

he doesn't mean it, he just gets grumpy sometimes...:laugh:

Soak that sucker and smack it with a hammer! The only thing I would be concerned with is over time, provided all grease/lubrication is gone, steel and aluminum can sometimes bond. chemically. I worked in bike shops for years and I'd see this every now and again with aluminum seat posts and steel frames. But once you get it out, worst case scenario you go to the scrap yard and buy an axle for what, $5-$10? No sweat boss.

Yeah that pic is the first I have seen disassembled in THAT order LOL.

As always, and you will no doubt have other areas on that bike needing the same technique...
Lube, twist, Use a chunk of aluminum or brass to protect bolt ends and threads before hammering. Tap/hammer. As soon as you get movement, STOP, lube again, tap it BACK IN, lube then tap back out repeat. This will greatly reduce galling and metal tearing as the corrosion can wad up and tear the crap out of both parts.
Lets see some more pics, looks like a serious "back from the dead" project!
Getting the fork leg off the axle will probably be the easy part, the axle is likely frozen in the bearings that will be the hard part because you can't "spin the axle in the bearings they will just turn with the axle. I thnk with the fork leg free and the disk removed. several aps of lube and heat before the serious beating starts may help. Good place to use a harbor freight heat gun, heat both ends of that axle a few times. wear gloves. In case it's not obvious, you will need to replace those wheel bearings on this one.

Last edited:
I agree with 5twins ( as per usual) , but I would add you should get a few manuals and READ them. Most aftermarket books have tips on how to and in what order you should remove parts before you do any repairs ( or whatever you are doing ).

Back