How do I set Timing?? I have a Pamco, PMA and New Carbs

Justjuan78

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello I recently bought and installed PMA kit from Hugh's, Pamco ignition and new mikuni vm 34's from 650central for my 1982 HS.... I set the marks for TDC before taking old charging system off. Bike is starting... Runs with choke on then when i take choke off it runs for a bit then shuts off.. The plugs don't have too many miles on them but I figure I will change those out and along with my oil tomorrow since it flooded a few times with the old carbs... I bought a timing strobe light from Harbor freight and I wanted to know if anyone can help me out on how to set the timing and or what else may be going on?????

I just did a ton of research on this. You will need to check your cam chain tensioner, adjust the valves, then set the timing. I'm not sure how to use the timing light with it yet but If you set your bike to TDC and then set the pamco to the spot pete recommends it should ride pretty good and only need minor tuning from there. Also your exhaust setup and air filter setup will dictate what size jets you need.

I had buddy at a shop check engine top to bottom a couple months ago.... My bike only has about 4000 original miles on it and he said the engine could not be in better shape... I let Michael at 650 central know my exhaust size and he tuned up carbs for my set up... I know I will have to do minor adjustments... I haven't timed the bike after all the new installs and I figure that is probably what the problem is I just don't know how to set the damn thing... Thanks for the info

I think Hugh Of Hugh's Handbuilt has a set of instructions on his website on the proper procedure to time your bike with the Pamco and PMA.
Might be worth checking on.
Leo

I went on a search mission on Hugh's site. There is a link to the PMA installation instructions. In the instructions it tells how to put timing marks, He even supplies a sticker. On the PMA.
Once you get the marks on the PMA, you use them just as the stock marks are used.
Pamcopete has the install instructions tell how to time the Pamco. Just use the marks you put on as in Hugh's indtructions.
Leo

Thank you very much my friend! I set the timing marks as per Hugh's instructions and will attempt the timing as per pampcopetes instructions... Quick question... Should the timing be set to land steady on TDC at idle??:confused:

TDC is just a refrence mark used to check cam timing. Ignition timing is set with the fire mark. At idle with the timing light hooked up and flashing point it at the timing marks. Turn the Pamco base plate to line up the flywheel mark with the fire mark.
Then rev the enbgine to about 3000-3200 rpms. The mark should move over toward the full advance mark. Over TO but never PAST the full Mark.
If it goes past the full mark reset it at idle a bit to the right of fire, retest at 30-3200 rpms.
Leo

Awesome... Thank you soooo much! That was an explanation I needed. I will try out tomorrow and let ya know how it goes :thumbsup:

You will probably notice the rotor mark bounces around a little when viewed with the timing light. That's pretty normal and due to, I think, uneven timing chain stretch. Mine sits mostly in one spot but bounces to the left (more advanced) occasionally. I had it set with the main image centered in the "F" range, the "bounce" appearing over near the left (more advanced) slash mark. Full advance was similar - main image on the mark, "bounce" to the left and more advanced, over advanced actually. I just re-set it a couple days ago using the "bounce" image as my reference. That means my timing is retarded a degree or two compared to how it was. I think the bike runs better like this, a bit stronger at high speeds and RPMs.

Okay got bike timed on fire and at full advance.... Mark stays steady at fire and full advance... Thanks you all for the help!!!

Ok,

1. When looking at the sticker supplied in Hugh's PMA kit, the timing mark at idle should be hitting right at the "fire" mark?

2. When RPMs are at 3k, timing mark should be hitting right around the "advance" mark on the sticker but never left of it?

3. When the bike is revved higher than 3k rpm, will the timing mark move left of the advance mark?
(I'm asking abt this bc I no longer have the tach on my bike and have no exact way of telling when I'm at 3k RPM.)

No, it will not go higher than the full advance not matter what RPM you're at. It will (or should) reach full advance by about 3K. An exception would be if you were running certain models of the Boyer ignition. Some of them continue advancing all the way up to like 5K or something.

Wow. Twins, you are always there with an answer. Thank you! One question though... Do you ever leave this site? :laugh: J/k, Your contributions to this site are priceless.

In all seriousness though, I would like a definite answer for the first two questions as well before I go messing with my timing tomorrow.

I think I would be good reference too for those of us that don't have the factory rotor and timing plate anymore and are using Hugh's setup.

Ok, posted this in the 2 Into 1 intake I'm the tech sticky but haven't gotten a response yet so this would be the only other thread I could think of in case it may be something with the pamco... But anyways, got a wise guy customs 2 into 1 I take and the vm 38 (I believe) carb with it... It's pretty badass but when I kick it over (after a few attempts and throttle pulls) it kicks over but revs to high rpms. My initial assumption is to put bigger jets in the carbs. But I am posting here to see if anything related to the pamco/PMA system could do that. I'm just trying to get it at a decent idle so I can time it...

basically I'm wondering if there is anyway it could be the timing plate with the pamco ignition. like what would turning it slightly in either direction do? would that help the idle or would this not help at all? I'm just trying to rule out it being the ignition, or rule out it being the carb. thanks

mattg666,

The timing for the PAMCO must be set with a timing light. Turning the plate one way or the other to fix a problem is not going to solve anything and it might cause serious problems with the engine, especially if you inadvertently set the timing too advanced.

If you have the mechanical advancer, then that could be the cause of the idle hover that you are experiencing if the springs on the advancer are loose or if the advancer is binding in the advanced position. Here is a video showing the correct "snap back" of the advancer:

If you have the E-Advancer version of the PAMCO, then this does not apply.

Another and more likely cause of your problem is that the carbs are not synced. Do a little searching on the site for methods of syncing the carbs.

If the Voltage from the PMA regulator is erratic, which it often is, that can be the source of your problems as well. The test for this possibility is to temporarily connect the PAMCO to a seperate battery that is not connected to the PMA and see if the problem is fixed. If it is, then trouble shoot the PMA following the instructions from the manufacturer.

Back