how do I take apart a 1981 master cylinder?

Thanks @weaselbeak. I will see if I can find a new one on eBay. I don't care about it looking OEM any more. I just want the brake to work so I can sell it.

Why bother even fixing the brake? If the top end is shot... a working brake isn't going to do much for value/price to sell...I wouldn't think.

Hi @fredintoon. Nice to hear from you, but I don't own a drill press. - - -

Hi John,
you poor fellow, I dunno how you can live without a drill press.
Surely you must have a friend who owns one?
Look on Kijiji?
Or in your local pawnshop?
Or even buy a discounted el-cheapo from Harbor Freight.

@Brassneck if the brake works, it is ridable. Just because the top end needs to be rebuilt doesn't mean you can't ride it.

@fredintoon I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in NYC. I have no place to put a drill press.

@Brassneck if the brake works, it is ridable. Just because the top end needs to be rebuilt doesn't mean you can't ride it.

@fredintoon I live in a 1 bedroom apartment in NYC. I have no place to put a drill press.

Hi John,
are you sure that your bike's top end needs work or are you reacting to other folk's horror stories?
And if your current domicile limits you to kerbside maintenance the long term answer is to move.
The short term solution is to go with the suggestion to buy an aftermarket master cylinder.

I had the impression that it wasn't a running engine (not sure how as I don't think you stated one way or the other...but I guess it was in the way that you were talking about the gloom over paying to have it rebuilt, etc.).

Anyways, good luck.

@fredintoon I have a slight head gasket oil leak and I have found some bits of rubber in the oil, but I've been riding it this way for 10 years so presumably it can go a little longer. That's why I want to buy a new master cylinder. At least then I can sell it as a bike that somebody can drive away, or if it doesn't sell for some reason I can keep riding it the way it is.

I'm not going to move so I can work on my motorcycle. That's crazy talk. I don't anticipate retiring for at least 12 years. Then I will move out of the city. Commuting is not a good option for me because I work 12-15 hours per day. In the meantime, I want a bike that I can ride and enjoy, not one that takes up what little time off that I have.

I appreciate all of the replies. I think my best option is to sell this bike and get something that doesn't need work.

If you have been riding it for 10 years you have done right by it and its back story.

Thanks @lakeview. This was a good bike for me to get back into riding. I hadn't owned a bike in many years before this one. I think it has served its purpose for me though and its time to move on. Hopefully somebody who has the time to work on it will take care of the engine work. I want more of a turnkey bike that doesn't have problems.

Thanks Leo. I want to sell it. I'd like to spend my weekends riding, not wrenching. Time is too precious.

After hearing that the NOS cam stoppers fall apart, I have no desire to invest any time or money in this engine. Time for a newer bike. I'm looking at the HD Street 750. I can get a low mileage used one (2015) for $5k-$6k and it looks like a great bike for my needs.

I'd say you're taking a pragmatic approach. This is a tinkerer's playground.

If you do go the HD Street 750 route, jump back in here and give us your rider's impression.
That thing caught my eye, too...

Thanks. I will! I've watched and read several reviews.

On the plus side, everybody says it's a very smooth running engine and the handlebars don't shake like a typical HD.The suspension never bottoms out and it handles rough pavement well. Plenty of power and torque. Very nimble steering. The muffler is very quiet but easy to change if you want something louder.

Negative points are that the mirrors need to be higher and farther out (easy to replace), doesn't have the shift feel of a typical HD so you have to trust the gearbox, especially between 1st and 2nd. Big riders say that the foot pegs are a little too cramped (I'm 5'7" so that should not be a problem). A couple of reviewers said that the front brake is spongy but it can be fixed w/ stainless a steel brake line and there are better brake shoes available. A couple of reviewers said the exhaust pipes get very hot but there is a heat shield available.

One reviewer compared it to the Iron 883 and said that he thought he would prefer the 883 but after riding both he prefers the Street 750.

It weighs less than 500 lbs so it is actually lighter than the XS650 and should be easy for me to get used to.

I like the fact that it's liquid cooled since I do live in the city. I also like the fact that there is a luggage rack with backrest available, and it's also easy to throw saddlebags over it (of course there are "official" ones for it available from HD. I'm looking forward to being able to carry stuff. Also, the backrest means that my girlfriend won't be afraid to ride on the back. They say there is plenty of room for a passenger to fit comfortably.

I think the Street 750 will suit my needs better than the XS650. Time to move on...

Hi John,
I did say moving was a long term solution to your lack of a workspace.
12+ years is certainly that.
If you still have your newly purchased H-D 750 Street at that time you'll most likely need it.
BTW, I read reviews of that bike.
Seems H-D catered to their "only need a rear brake" customers by fitting a front brake that don't work.

Hi Fred,

I know about the front brake. I have read and watched several reviews. They say it has a spongy feel but it can be fixed by installing a stainless steel brake line and better brake shoes. These are fixes that I can do myself.

John

Hi John,
OK, those are easy fixes.
But you shouldn't have to.
They've been building bikes for a Century or more, by now they should be capable of making a bike that didn't need an upgrade before it was safe to ride.
Makes me wonder if the front brake is the only thing they've skimped out on and/or botched up.

Do you think it's any worse than an XS650 was from the factory with a rubber brake line and OEM pads? Hard to say, but I'm guessing probably not.

Hi John,
sure it's worse, way worse.
Back in the mid '70s the XS650s braking system was streetbike state of the art and the front brake didn't quit cold after three consecutive hard stops neither.
But that was 40 years ago.
To still be using fabric lines and unsuitable pads in 2016 is just about criminal negligence.

"And if your current domicile limits you to kerbside maintenance the long term answer is to move."
Heh-heh. I couldnt help but chuckle over that one. Been there, and then did just that, moved.

Back