How do I tell what type of carbs I have?

Mitchell_p

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
They say there's no such thing as a stupid question, but I feel this is as close as it gets.

I see people talking about BS 38s and various other things. just wondering what I have and how do I tell.

You'll need to provide more info than that like year of bike, stock or put together from parts, and show us some pics of the carbs. Biggest "tell" between the BS38s and BS34s are the domed tops. 34s have chrome steel ones, 38s have alloy aluminum ones.

Ok so the bike is a 75. Im assuming i have the BS38's 70-75 model carb.
However it looks like im missing the choke. No sheetmetal arm in the middle of the carbs. Pretty annoying. i attached some photos to show whats goin on.

DSC_0127.jpg

DSC_0125.jpg

your carbs look right for a 75 they wont have the sheet metal connecting them or the choke sheet metal thing
I can see your choke lever in your pic. looks like its all there but you maybe missing the little rubber lever cover that says choke

Thanks for the help. I did think that was the choke but maybe it had broken off. Ive seen the replacement ones with the rubber on mikesxs. It wont budge at all on mine so im looking for a rebuild kit now to get started on them.

yup. I just cleaned up a set of 74- 75's for hooligans on here. i think they were the only year with one enrichener, with a tube that replaces the enrichener for the other side.

yup. I just cleaned up a set of 74- 75's for hooligans on here. i think they were the only year with one enrichener, with a tube that replaces the enrichener for the other side.

ok sweet. any tips for someone rebuilding them for the first time, with little experience?
Also where abouts did you buy the rebuild kit?
I have to probably order it from the US so i want to make sure i get the right kit.

Just take them apart and clean them. There's a good chance you don't need any new parts. The kits are hit and miss anyway, many containing incorrect parts for your carb set. You're better off buying what you might need individually. But you won't know exactly what you need until you have a look inside.

On the carbs there is no 70-75 set. They had a 70-71 set a 72-73 set a 74-74 set a 76-77 set a 78-79 set and 80-81 set an 82 and up set. They did major changes every two years. A few minor changes every year. Sometimes twice a year.
Most any year set can be made to work on other years, it just takes a bit of parts swapping.
Use the carb guide to help get them clean and adjusted.
Leo

Back