How do I wire for no lights and kick start only....

ScubaSteve

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Ok I am a total Newb to the site but have been playing with bikes for most of the 37 years of my life but I am stumped on this one....I am installing a Hughs PMA on my 75 XS650 and want it to be kick start only. I do not want no lights or anything. I know how to wire up the PMA but how do I go about wiring in the points and coils so that they will not be energized at all times and I can shut bike down with a push button kill switch found on a modern dirt bike?

Welcome to the xs650 forum :)
Go to the tech section at top of forum home page.
scroll down to electrical.
click on wiring diagrams.
many choices there.

Welcome to the xs650 forum :)
Go to the tech section at top of forum home page.
scroll down to electrical.
click on wiring diagrams.
many choices there.

Lot's of good info there.

No lights sounds like you're building an off-roader huh? You could always run everything out of a fuse box. That way you're protected against surges/high voltage and you know where to start when/if an issue arises. All you need for a kill switch is to wire in the switch on the coils power lead, flick the switch, break the connection, and cut power to the coil which = no spark= no braaaaaap...easy as pie.

Welcome aboard.

Yes I am building a flat tracker...I have looked at several of the wiring diagrams on here just cant quite grasp how to get them to hook up with out using a key switch.

A key switch is nothing more than a (on)-on-off switch or a 0n-off switch. You can do the same thing with a toggle switch. You need to put the switch between the pma/capacitor/battery and your ignition. Should be very simple since you only have one wire to worry about powering.

Ok I ordered a complete PMA kit last night from Hughs Hand Built and decided to get rid of the points and install a Basic Pamco High Output Electronic Ignition Kit from Mikes XS (part #14-0911) hope I got the right stuff and hope this wont make me go nuts trying to install it all....You all have a great forum here and have great advice....

Hope you have the right stuff as well.

Would be better to ask advice before buying, less hope, be more sure.

If you get stuck since you bought a PMA AND PAMCO I can make you a wire harness with toggle switch no lights For $75.00 shipped to you with all the ends tagged for easy install. BUT if you never installed a PMA OR PAMCO READ!!!!!!!

Actually 650Skull I sorta ask for advice I emailed Hugh's directly and made sure his kit was the one I needed and spoke with a few people about the Pamco and they said the kit I bought was the one I needed....The Pamco is the only one I am worried about...DADDYGCYCLES how long would it take to make a harness? I need to have a push button kill switch added into the harness as it is going on a flat tracker so it has to have a kill switch on the bars...

Here is some good information. Page #13 there is a diagram that should suit you needs.

**EDIT - sorry just saw that you're running points**

No problem with handlebar push button switch. If its a flat tracker it would be better to have a body switch like I use on drag bikes if you go down bike shuts off because you pull switch plug. Turn around is 12 days from time of payment. I would do two switches one master kill and a body switch and both can be mounted up at bars.
Battery is in stock location correct.

hotdog I was going to run points but then chanced my mind and decided to run a Pamco...DADDYGCYCLES I am going to run a capacitor instead of battery and it will be in the general area of the factory location as I have removed the battery box.

Here is what you need just the bottom half leave out the lights.

Attachments

• spax.jpg
    spax.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 7,938
Here is what you need just the bottom half leave out the lights.

Ya DADDYGCYCLES that is the wiring I am going to follow when i do it....have to find the capacitor, the kill switch that I like and a on/off key switch still and instead of a complete fuse block/box I am going to run a inline fuse.

Well got everything wired up and got bike running...It started first kick and sounds great....I currently have a toggle switch as a kill switch I need to find a better switch dont like the idea of having to flip a toggle to kill it.

You can use a 2 pole 12vdc relay and one normally closed switch (stop) and a normally open (start) momentary switches to control your ignition. One of the no side of the relay would act as your memory or latching contact once you hit the start button. Once the coil is energized the no on the relay will keep it pulled in until power is interrupted when you hit the stop. Then the other no would be for your ignition. I'll draw up a diagram when I get a chance.

I dont have a start button....It is kick start only...I dont have not electronics other than a capacitor a Hughs Handbuilt stator and a PMA setup...I think I am going to wire it up so the headlight on/off switch will be my on off switch since I have to keep it for my throttle...(I would keep the factory on/off switch but the little ball bearing is missing so it dont work)

I used the wrong phrasing given your application. It should be ignition on. Here's a diagram to go by

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 413
Also, if you do run a relay with a memory contact once you hit the stop button, all power is removed to the output of that relay. The toggle switch can be flipped back to on really easy and the bike will stay running

Anything other than the stock charging system is overkill for a bike with no lights... since all it will be doing is making the plugs spark.

If you aren't running lights, you certainly don't need a battery.

You pretty much just need a regulator/rectifier, capacitor, and ignition (points/PAMCO and coil).

If you run points (I do NOT know about PAMCO or oem electronic ignitions), you don't even need a regulator or capacitor. You can run un-regulated AC current straight from the alternator to rectifier (just use the Radio Shack rectifier for simplicity) then to the points, just like on old dual sport bikes.

Back