How do i wire my headlight to the neutral switch??

smokenjoep01

Motorcycle Freak
Reaction score
I would like to know how to wire my headlight to my neutral switch? I would like for the light to be off when the bike is in neutral. Could I just run the lights ground to the switch? I imagine it's a little more complicated. I just am trying to avoid adding a additional switch to my bike.

However, I have installed a relay that shuts off the headlight when in neutral so the battery voltage stays at 12.5 when stooped at a long light. I also installed an LED tail light which makes a huge difference.

- should be easy enough...install a relay as pamcopete says, so that when the neutral light circuit is earthed, in neutral, and power runs through that side of the relay, the power feed to the headlight is switched off

P3120005.jpg

Last edited:
Here is a diagram for the '80 to '83 models with a starter lockout relay. Earlier models just had the neutral light, but with the later models, all the wires you need are under the left side air filter cover.

neutral2.jpg

The relay is shown operated by the neutral switch with the headlight off.

The circuit is fail safe. If either the relay coil or the neutral switch contacts fail, the headlight will be on all the time.

Here's the relay installed on my '81.

neutral4.jpg

Thanks for the quick replys! I am still in kindergarten wiring class and have no idea how to incorporate a relay in to my harness. Would it be possible to get a explanation on how to get it to work on my harness. Sorry I need my hand held for every lesson.
View attachment 936

I came across 2 different relays in my parts drawer. which one should I use and how do I know what terminals to connect to???:banghead:

Attachments

• Light relays 009.jpg
    Light relays 009.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 312
  • Light relays 010.jpg
    Light relays 010.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 388
  • Light relays 011.jpg
    Light relays 011.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 260
smoke,

Use the relay in your left hand picture, it's the same as I used. Two of the contacts are labeled in the drawing I posted. You should be able to figure out the others. If not, I will modify the drawing later today.

Just as a voice of option: you might consider getting a earlier right side control pod. It has a "lights off/on" switch for the headlight. All you'd have to do is run the earth from your headlight to this switch, instead of to the frame. Then you can turn it off whenever you want. Or, if you want to do it on the cheap, just go to radio shack, get a locking push button switch, and wire the same way.

well then, the radio shack solution is right up your alley. Just make sure you get a switch that can deal with 50 watts (or whatever the wattage of your high beam is). They're usually rated in amps, so 50w/12v=4 and a bit, so anything that will handle 5 amps will do you.

I am assuming that your solution eliminates using the neutral switch? I would not like to add more switchs. Plus I like the idea of the light coming when I put it in gear. The Pamco solution seems the best for my application. It's hard enough not to get confused figuring one solution. Never mind trying to figure out something different in addition.
I had the light working but in reverse. The light would be on in neutral and went off when in gear. I tried to switch things around. Seems I burnt up my neutral switch now. No continuity when I test it now. It did before.

Hm. Well, the wiring would be less (no need for a relay).

Yeah, if you're not getting continuity through the switch when in neutral, you've done it in. Probably because when you had it working, the neutral switch is not designed to handle the amperage you're grounding through it from the headlight.

Sorry if i offered up more confusion.

Cheers!

With a lights on/off switch there is always a chance (and it will happen) that you think the light is on and it wont be. Sure it is simple to put your hand in front of the light to check but sometimes, for whatever reason, you will not check and when getting off the bike you find "well i done that trip without a light". I think the pamco solution is a very simple, cheap fool proof solution.

smoke,

You should have waited...I said I would make a drawing for you:

neutral5.jpg

This drawing shows the relay not operated with the bike in gear, so there is a circuit
from 30 to 87a and the Blue/Black wire to the RLU to turn on the light. Cut the Blue/Black from the safety relay so it does not latch on when the engine starts.

I also did not want to drill holes in the headlight bowl or lash a switch to the handle bars, and I wanted the lights to come on automatically when underway.

Thanks form the response Pete. Still not 100% sure how I will wire mine as I dont have a factory colored wire harness. My neutral switch only has one terminal. No neutral light. No starter lockout.
I have 12v power directly from batt.
12v switched power

Would this work?

#30 12v switched
#86 12v from batt positive terminal
#87 or #87A to the headlamp bulb ( I only have low beam)
#85 to the neutral switch

smoke,

I'm starting to think that you really don't know how this circuit works.

The purpose of the relay is to turn the headlight OFF, not on as is usually the purpose of the relay. Unless the relay is operated, the headlight gets power from #30 through contact #87a.

#30 to #85 and switched bat through a 10 A fuse.
#87a to the headlight.
#86 to the neutral switch
#87 N/C (No connection)

neutral5.jpg

Pete, I'm still in kindergarten wiring class. Sorry It's got to be frustrating dealing with such a ignorant person. I think I have it. Will get my new switch and give it a try. Thank you for your time

Back