How do you compress the piston rings?

imwastefull

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I am putting the jugs back on my case and my piston rings are sitting proud in the piston. I know that there is a compression tool for car piston rings but i'm not sure if it'll work for a bike?

any of you fools have some back woods remedy?

Thanks!

I think there are a couple of ideas in the "Homemade and unique tools" thread.

I am putting the jugs back on my case and my piston rings are sitting proud in the piston. I know that there is a compression tool for car piston rings but i'm not sure if it'll work for a bike?

any of you fools have some back woods remedy?

Thanks!

A good method is to install the piston/rings into the cylinders before putting the piston onto the conn rods.

Turn the cylinders upside down on the bench. You will see a chamfer on the bottom edge of the cylinders. That chamfer will aid the installation. Now lower the piston down into the cylinder, and use a very special tool to squeeze the rings. That special tool is called a popsicle stick.............any flavour you wish. Its very easy to guide the rings into the cylinders.

Position the pistons so that the wrist pin holes are still below the cylinders. Install the inner wrist pin circ clips. Lower the cylinders/pistons down onto the engine, and install the wrist pin when the conn rods and pistons aline. Install the outer circ clip, and then fully push the cylinders to meet the engine case.

When I do this, I position the cylinders in the horizontal. Makes it easy to slide the cylinders/piston into the engine case.

Attachments

• Cyl  Piston install mod1.JPG
    Cyl Piston install mod1.JPG
    228.1 KB · Views: 168
Yeah. I second the popsicle stick/tongue depressor. What my father taught me decades ago and I'm sure his father taught him. Just take your time and be sure to oppose the ring openings and you'll do just fine. :cheers:

I just did mine and put the pistons in the jugs and then put the pins in the rods.

Just put the clips on the inside ends of the pistons first and stuff rags into the bottom end to hold the rods straight and prevent dropping the outside clip into the bottom end.

Don't forget the o-rings on the cylinders.

Put the wrist pins part way into the pistons to keep them from getting pushed too far up into the cylinders. You put them in from the bottom where the cylinders are tapered, making it easier to get the rings in. Still be very careful - easy to screw up. And make sure the rings the right way 'up' and the gaps are staggered.

I've not found a hose clamp wide enough yet. I started down that road - was even going to wrap the pistons with aluminum from a beer can and then put the clamps on.

Way easier to just put them in first, lower the cylinders onto the rods and slide the pins into the rods and slap the outside clip in.

Putting the pistons in the jugs is a great way to do it but make sure you put something in the motor so if you don't get the pin in the first time and loose it in the bottom end. I use hose clamp. Just go to your local auto parts store or Home Depot and buy large enough one and just tighten them up around the rings and slide the jugs down. Been doing it that way for over 35 years and works on any motor. Any way you do it just take your time.

Back