How do you make your paint look rusted?

fatyama5.jpg

fatyama4.jpg

fatyama3.jpg

fatyama2.jpg

fatyama1.jpg

guess what parts of this a real patina and what parts aren't..

As long as it shows skill it's alright by me. Especially since real means neglect/

I once met a fella in San Diego who was a mad artist. He rode a mostly stock late 80's superglide that he painted to look like oxidized copper. I am telling you he painted everything with the exception of the seat and tires with a paint brush. I looked as if the whole bike was built from pieces off of the statue of liberty that fell in the ocean 50 years ago. It was overwhelming to look at it for more than a few seconds. That paint job was unrealistic and somewhat poorly executed.

( Please excuse the rant) My wife told me she hates rat rods. When I asked her why, she simply replied they look dirty and broken down. This was after attending a local car show. No matter how I tried to explain the rat rods, she wasn't buying it. She liked the pristine 60's muscle cars. I usually try not to argue because it's always a lost battle.
Here's another way to grasp this- a pooly excecuted rat rod or bike will look bad and be less than admired by those who like these types of custom vehicles. I think it takes even more research, devotion and determination to pull off a rod or bike. I like all vehicles that really stand out with a great paint job wether they are a shiny pinto or a flat black 52' Chevy. it's all in the details, such as perfect body work, panel alignment, or body modifications.

Ardcore Chopper's tank is a prime example of a piece that appears to be mechanically sound and looks wonderful. The art work and stripes give it a delicate and refined touch. I'm sure a tank like this fits it's application well.

I personally don't like the rusted rat look but I know a guy who has done it.

So i decided to do the rust treatment as i like em looking like they have been through hell....super easy to do, paint on a base..then an....activator..then a satin clear to seal and stop it rusting….t

IMG_5657.jpg

Ardcore...great tank. I don't care how, what's real, what's not. It's perfect. Nice job

Sgallaty...stop being a hater. Find another thread for that bullshit. 426 posts since June...do you even ride?

Posted via Mobile

Last edited:
Thanks Ardcore...I like it a lot. I appreciate the guys in this thread that actually help out and embrace something different.

if you want a lightly worn look, you can wet sand down to the metal or primer on the usual wear areas then wipe it with water or salt water.

I recall seeing some years back, where and older 'famous' retired drag car had been relocated, pulled out of weeds and put on display at car shows and stuff....and they had coated it 'as-is' with a product from POR15... it was some type of thick clear that they make. they covered the rust, patina, crash wounds, everything. just a thought.

also, google 'hood rat', and also check out ReRanch.com its a guitar refinishing forum. this kind of thing is big in that world (and has the exact same 'don't do it/do it' baggage).

bottom line. do what you want.

We put em in the barn basement. If you time it right, there is still enough bike left to get it running again with an authentic Wisconsin patina.

if you want a lightly worn look, you can wet sand down to the metal or primer on the usual wear areas then wipe it with water or salt water.

I recall seeing some years back, where and older 'famous' retired drag car had been relocated, pulled out of weeds and put on display at car shows and stuff....and they had coated it 'as-is' with a product from POR15... it was some type of thick clear that they make. they covered the rust, patina, crash wounds, everything. just a thought.

also, google 'hood rat', and also check out ReRanch.com its a guitar refinishing forum. this kind of thing is big in that world (and has the exact same 'don't do it/do it' baggage).

bottom line. do what you want.

Yeah it is. I have always liked "road worn" guitars but don't own any. Mine are really beat up but not "road worn".

Whats up with all the hate on this forum? Its not your bike so chill out and let a guy do what he likes. Holy shit......

Hi guys...Ive been searching all over and cant get help...How do you paint (or lack of) your tank and fenders? Ive seen some guys give their bikes that straight-outta-the junkyard look but then clear coat it so that it essentially gives you the rusted look but without the actual "cancer"

Motocrosser
ship it over the pond to my hut in England, we manufacture rain for the rest of the planet here and it will be a matter of weeks and you have the oxidized look you are after:D

Leslie

I think some of you guys need to cool it with the "FAKE PATINA IS LAME!!" Its not your bike and the guy is looking for advice, not for what you think is lame or cool. I'm positive you guys all have SUPER awesome rusted out bikes and no one can be as cool as you.

Anyways... the method I've seen and used is as follows.

Flat colours or satin colours generally work best for this because of its low gloss qualities.

Paint your primer as you normally would

Then spray a orange, red, brown layer or layer of each othe colours. Spray darkest colour just after the primer then going up to the lighter colours. Sometimes I like to do 2 of the colours because it gives the illusion of different 'stage' in the rust ex: Primer, then a brown, then an orange.

Then spray your top coat what you want to be your main colour. Now couple different ways to do it would be either take a rag and start to wipe away a bit of the main colour in different spots while paint is bit tacky (edges are generally the area I start with the harder you press with the rag the more paint it takes away obviously) Switch between pressing hard and soft to expose the lighter and different colours. I like using a rag because it doesn't give you a discernable pattern. Maybe a little harder to get done properly if its your first time.

The second way is spray the same way primer darker brown, light orange, red whatever then top coat let it dry up and sand paper.. same idea go to the light colour is exposed, then darker colour etc.

Then you can go with a low gloss clear to protect it.

This car is from Wrench clothing and it was painted the same exact method.

Cover-01-420x276.jpg

Back