How do you make your paint look rusted?

Thanks?

I was posting it based on how the paint was done.. not what the company 'really' is.

Apparently its very hard to stay on track here as to the original posters question.

Biltwell 'distressed' helmets are another great example of patina and distressed look if you are looking for examples.

like deeeeeess
sponge-painting.jpg

Wow, what a bunch of bike snobs. You guys sound as bad as Harley snobs. Ease up.

I personally like the look, go for it.

I have a friend who found a '62 VW single cab. It has a nice patina of dove blue that is sun baked; primer, and bare metal showing through. Only problem was, someone had replaced both doors that were red and white two-tone. We stripped the doors of all paint and used a gray etch primer; covered that with another two-part gray fill primer. The we had a paint shop mix us a quart of paint matched to the burnt out dove blue so we could get the hues in the right shade. Then I just went to town with the sand paper and went thoguh the paint and into the primer. Sometimes even through the primer to bare metal. I kept the sanding along edges that would naturally wear and where sun would fade the paint. Afterwards, the owner had a sign painter do some logos and faded those as well. The overall effect was perfect.

I have a friend who found a '62 VW single cab. It has a nice patina of dove blue that is sun baked; primer, and bare metal showing through. Only problem was, someone had replaced both doors that were red and white two-tone. We stripped the doors of all paint and used a gray etch primer; covered that with another two-part gray fill primer. The we had a paint shop mix us a quart of paint matched to the burnt out dove blue so we could get the hues in the right shade. Then I just went to town with the sand paper and went thoguh the paint and into the primer. Sometimes even through the primer to bare metal. I kept the sanding along edges that would naturally wear and where sun would fade the paint. Afterwards, the owner had a sign painter do some logos and faded those as well. The overall effect was perfect.

Pics or it didnt happen!

Back