How do you put stock spokes on a hardtail frame?

THE ROLLING BONES

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know many of you might think I shouldn't be building a bike if i have to ask this question but I'm going to ask it anyway! Here it is! How do you put a stock 77 rear spoke rim on a hardtail frame?? I'm thinking of putting a hardtail on the bike and was looking at different options of hardtails that are on the market. I noticed there were no openings like on the swing arm of my 77! :wtf::banghead: Please someone help me with this! I don't wannna call one of the suppliers cause they might not sell it to me with a question like that!:yikes::laugh: Thanks!

You slide the axle through the loops on the frame and the wheel. Same as any wheel, spoked or mag.
Leo

Thanks Leo! The swing arm on my bike has an opening on the end to slide the tire with axle already on! That's why I was confused! I tried to pull the axle out but failed! Any advice on how to pull the axle out of my rim? Thanks

You should leave your '77 mostly stock . That is probably the best year for the XS 650 the one that restorers want . If it is in decent shape you could probably sell it and by a later model special to chop up and make a few $$ toward what you want to build. These bikes are not really scarce yet, but it is getting harder to find some models so you might as well take advantage of what you got.

Take the axle nut off and the axle should slide right out. If not you might need to use some persuasion. A bfh and a block of wood to prevent damage to the threads. A good soaking with PB Blaster will help.
Leo

Rollin Bones the spacer is probably rust welded to the axle.
Leaving the nut on the end to protect the threads try tapping it with a hammer.
You may want to add something else between to protect the ends like a wood block.

The frame was chopped and The swing arm was stretched 4" to go with a Brat look by previous owner! I would have to find an original frame. The way I look at it is,it's already chopped why not go all the way! Don't get me wrong! They are nice once restored. I'm not a fan of the look of rear shocks any way! Do have any parts you wanna get rid of? Stock pipes,ect..? 2 into 2? ect...!

That's what I tried last night and no go! Guess i'll have to wait till spring! They might be frozen!:laugh: It's friggn cold up here!:eek: Thanks to all and the post for the parts was for Scambled !:thumbsup:

Scrabled This was the state of the bike when I got it so I hope you know now why I'm going hardtail!:yikes: Some pics of The route i'm going! Or somewhat!:bike:

Attachments

• xs650 1.jpg
    xs650 1.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 63
  • vs650 2.jpg
    vs650 2.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 58
  • xs650 4.jpg
    xs650 4.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 60
  • xs650 5.jpg
    xs650 5.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 54
  • bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 67
  • bike 2.jpg
    bike 2.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 60
I just saw the other part of your post , yes, I have parts . Got a stock exhaust , A whole bunch of stuff , ignition parts , a couple of brand new coils lots of small parts like spacers, nuts bolts washers ,gaskets ......brake parts ....

Scrambled I"m actually up in Barrie! I want to change the oil and filter before trying to start it but I think she'll go! I turned it over when I first went and looked at the bike to see if there was compression! Turns over! All the electrical is off the bike so It's going to be a while before I hear it! I'm in need of parts so we should work something out!

Back