How do you remove the LC, RLU, TSCU, etc.?

shop teach

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi Everybody,
My first post here. I've been looking at how to clean up the electrical system on a 650 that some of my high school students are working on (78 650 special soon to be a brat). We want to remove the light checker, reserve lighting unit, turn signal canceling unit, and anything else that isn't needed. I want to keep the headlight, brake light / tail light, speedo/tach lights, turn signals, starter, and kill switch. I don't really want them to start from scratch with the wiring (because I know jack about it), I just want them to free up some space and cut off/remove the unnecessary devices (I know it would be a great learning experience for them to start from scratch, but I am more of a welder/machinist, so I teach what I know). I have found posts for the RLU fix, but just want to make sure - blue/black wire to blue/yellow, and the rest of the wires can be chopped off and forgotten? I have been having a hard time finding simple instructions for the other things. They're probably out there, but I can't seem to find them. What wires need to be connected / removed on each device for them to be tossed? Personally, I'm in need of super simple instructions that a child (my students and I) could follow, and I was wondering if anyone could post a simple step by step fix to each one here, so other wiring impaired people, like myself, can find it and follow it. Thank you in advance, any help would be great!

Get a wiring diagram and follow the wiring from each thing you want to get rid of one at a time to make sure you're not cutting out anything important. Start cuttin, and solder and shrink wrap where needed. Not as hard as it is overwhelming looking at all of it.

I'm doing the exact same thing you are as far as what to keep and what to get rid of. We're going to make our own. As long as you have some soldering skills it is probably easier and will be less problematic in the future than using a 30+ year old wiring harness. The other option might be TC Bros mini harness.

I figured it would be good to have each one listed with a simple explanation of the fix, so anyone that needed to eliminate, or remove something could easily find it in one post. I've been looking around on here in my free time, using the search feature, and it isn't the easiest to find clear answers...at least for me.

Reserve Lighting Unit - RLU - remove RLU, connect the blue/black wire to the blue/yellow wire. All other remaining wires for the RLU can be eliminated

Light Checker - LC -

Turn Signal Canceling Unit - TSCU -

Any other tips???

Anybody want to fill in the rest of these for us newbies?

Did you check the tech section? It may lead you where you need to go.

After you've removed the RLU...(blue/yellow to blue/black as noted).... remove the LC (light checker) you'll then need to re-supply a tail light power feed to the tail light (blue wire)....via a couple of blue & XXX wire options

Just unplug the TSCU at the connector.

Now comes the student fun....tracing out the now unnecessary wiring to the controls, indicator lights & speedo reed switches etc......Verify before cutting and pulling teach!

Good time for some test meter practice excercises as well.

http://www.umd.umich.edu/casl/natsci/slc/slconline/IDIG/DigiMeter.htm

You're going to have a nice little pile of multi-colored sphaghetti....enjoy the nicely simpla-fied wiring that results. Each pull brings more comphrehension of what's left, why it's needed and how it all works. A great teaching project.....good luck!

Tracing out will be the teaching element...."What is this and why don't you need it anymore"? Student taped tags prior to elimination may be a good idea?

Finding the error in the wiring diagram is also fun and instructional. (clue wrong colored wire on wiring diagram flasher to TSCU)

Here's the latest and best link (for making large size printed copies) of Jayels' excellent wiring diagrams.

Just find the WD you want in the tech section then run printed copies for the students/self. This example for the 78' SE

btw: when you get to it.....L is the symbol for blue....there are two colors of wire involved which are so dark they can appear black....Ch (chocolate brown) and Dg (dark green) one is the power for the left side turn signals, indicator lights and the other the right side.

Blue

Attachments

• normal_10703-78xs650se.jpg
    normal_10703-78xs650se.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 315
Last edited:
Folks - have any of you actually removed a TSCU ? if so none of these posts appear to give any very relative advice- there must be someway of removing it and joining some wires together- I would appreciate details- have so far been unable to find out how the thing works - cheers RayDownunder

TSCU I like to see em work and it doesn't matter if it doesn't. It is just a back up. I have several that are still functioning. For class purposes a new simple harness seems like the best course. (punny) This diagram in tech is the bomb for TCI bikes. I have a print out of it and a blow up color stock diagram on my shop wall. use em both often.

xs650.jpg

As a teacher you should be able to draw the points variation if needed (wink)

Back