How do you tell when cam chain is streached on tci?

lowliferat

certified hack
Reaction score
I have an 81 and I am trying to figure out what I should do with her, is there a way to measure cam chain slack? With motor still in frame? Speedo said. 32,000 on it. TCI ignition. She ran but didn't stay running. I haven't checked the vavles yet. I figured if there was a way to diagnose then I would rather be sure instead of pussyfooting around with her. Thanks for any info I can get.

On the top of the engine there are round chrome covers. Pull the one of the right side. You will see the end of the cam. You will find a hole in the cam, Well actually two holes. One goes through the cam from left to right, the one you want is a small hole that goes from this big hole out to the out side of the cam.
On the points bikes this hole was used to pin the advancer to the cam. When they converted from points to TCI they didn't delete any of the point features.
Now on the lower left side remove the round cover that says Yamaha on it. In there you will find the timing marks. Set the marks to TDC. Now look at the hole in the cam. If everything is perfect the hole will point either straight up or down. Any variation from that indicates chain wear.
With 32,000 on it it may be off by a few degrees. If more than 5 or 6 degrees then it is worn.
As mentioned the cam chain adjuster can indicate wear. If you have to screw the adjuster in so far that there isn't enough threads to put the capnut on them the chains worn.
The chain can be fairly worn and the bike will still run ok. The cam timing be a bit retarded but that won't stop it from running ok.
I would go through the basic tune up procedures before I started tearing thing apart.
Do the steps in this order.
Cam chain tension.
Valve clearance.
Check the timing, use a timing light to check the idle setting and at 300 prms for full advance.
Now with these things checked and set right, if it still has problems you can trouble shoot the ignition. Look for weak spark. Do one plug at a time. If spark is weak , new plugs, if still weak check the ohms through the caps. If no ohms or very high ohms replace caps.
If still poor spark check the coil for ohms , primary and secondary. Also from the wires to ground. This is all in your repair manual. You do have a manual?
Once you determine yohave good spark, then it might be carbs. www.amckayltd.com/carbguide.pdf will gert them right.
From the poor description of your symptoms it sounds more like dirty carbs.
Leo

Yes I am a poor describer, but I will check all that. She ran but wouldn't idle and didn't want to take off from a stop , by goosing the throttle it was moving but not that good. The carbs are old. Will check for vacuum leaks too. Those were stock carbs with uni filters and the exhaust is open so I put some baffles in to help with back pressure. I will do my research better , to be able to describe my symptoms more accurately thanks

With 32K, it's a pretty safe bet that the chain is stretched. Most of the originals are toast by about 20K. They can and do last much longer if properly maintained but there's the rub - most never were.

I did Leo's check this morning on my own '81, with 60,000 miles, out of curiosity. As far as I can tell the little hole is straight up and down. I don't think the chain has ever been changed. I know it hasn't been changed after 17,000, which is when I bought it.

Thanks xsleo. You was right in the carb area , jet not screwed in all the way, passages blocked with junk , cleaned em up set float height an she was running but smoking out of exhaust flange, took it off nothing out of ordinary there , exhaust gasket was new. On that side. Other side kept back firing blowing out the baffle. So I know I need to rejet and set the timing, I had good spark. Now I need to find out what year bs38 carbs I have on there and go from there. Thanks for the help. Cam chain was not streached, vavles were dead on. Compression was around 110 a side. Kept blowing tester out as I had a cheap rubber plug type.

www.xs650.fi/pohja_files/fi/XS650carbs.htm
It was translated from Dutch to German first then from German to English. Some of the words I can't read but the ones I can describe the carbs and changes pretty well.
The rubber tipped testers work ok, but are a two man job. You can hold it in place while a buddy turns the engine over and holds the throttle wide open.
Leo

Thanks xsleo the carb guide was good Next question is how do you tell of cam chain guide is worn out? Without taking apart motor? I have 2400 miles on my bike and now I'm hearing a metallic scrapping noise. I checked my side filter and there was no plastic in it , but a few metal shavings. When I got bike I did find few peices of plastic in there. Is there a way ? Or am I better off tearing her down?

I don't think there's any way to tell for sure without looking inside. When you have the sump filter off the bottom, you can reach up inside and feel along the edges of the opening. Sometimes you'll find long thin strips of rubber laying there from the sides of the front guide. If the rubber strip has fallen right off the front guide, when you drain your oil, it may appear to "sparkle" because, well, it's full of metal flakes.

Back