How expensive would it be to start making things like bushings and wheel spacers?

GreasyC

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Inspired by all the work some of you guys are doing at home I'm wondering what kind of an investment it is to get setup to make bushings and wheel spacers at home? I've never used a metal lathe and don't have any idea what they cost or what type would be acceptable for small stuff like this. Is this like a $500 tool or a $5000 one? I'm all ears to any info you feel like sharing on the topic of lathes/mills suitable for home motorcycle projects.

look into a community college or trade school course. If you're not sure of the cost or capacities, I guess you're not versed in operation, yes?

A friend looked into building his own printing press studio for personal art projects a few years back. Instead, he enrolled in a night class at the community college, learned some new skills, created work in a professional grade shop, built a good report with the instructors, and still has limited access to the studio if he asks nicely. All for, I think, $175. And, there's not a studio that gets used a small handful of times a year taking up his garage space.

might be worth the test drive.

The cost at my community college is unfortunately $600 for a short 1 month/part time intro to lathe operation course. There are co-op woodworking and even motorcycle repair shops nearby but no luck on a co-op machine shop.

^bummer on the price tag. maybe someone at either of the co-ops has a lead for you?

good luck. I always enjoy learning new skill sets. The metal lathe sounds like a good one to put on the how-to-do list.

I suggest looking for a 10" or 12" Atlas/Craftsman lathe. They are typically priced from $400 to $1500 depending on how much tooling comes with it. Get one with lots of tooling! I learned that lesson the hard way and have since payed several times more for the tooling than I did for the lathe. The Atlas/Craftsman is simple to use and work on. New parts are still available from Clausing and used parts are all over ebay. They aren't terribly rigid but still very capable if you take your time. Get one with a change gear and it will turn any thread (metric and inch). Plus, it has a power cross slide. As far as I'm concerned, the power cross slide is a mandatory feature. You will use it a LOT and it makes a huge difference in the quality of face cuts.

There are cheaper lathes out there, and many better ones ($$$), but the Atlas/Craftsman is that "just right" compromise. It's simple and inexpensive enough for a beginner hobbyist, but capable enough that you won't quickly outgrow it. Spacers and bushings are just the tip of the iceberg. You will find a million and one uses for it.

smithy! if ur start'n out and try'n to get the best bang for ur buck they have a 3 in 1 that is killer for like $3200 for the big one and like $2200 for the smaller one and there NEW
http://www.smithy.com

Back