How many piston ring?

Newtoit

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hi fella's I've just bought a 447 XS650 B from the US ( I'm in the UK) and I'm in the process of stripping it down due to lack of compression. The Pistons have 3 grooves but only 2 rings fitted (solid middle and bottom sandwich style oil ring). My Haynes manual shows 3 rings but the replacement ring set I've just purchased (447-11610-00) comes with 2 rings, which is correct? Thanks for the help.

.. every 447 I'm ring'd..two upper rings.. one slightly thicker then the other I recall... and the 3 piece oil scraper set... we just got a set off ebay..

Hi fella's I've just bought a 447 XS650 B from the US ( I'm in the UK) and I'm in the process of stripping it down due to lack of compression. The Pistons have 3 grooves but only 2 rings fitted (solid middle and bottom sandwich style oil ring). My Haynes manual shows 3 rings but the replacement ring set I've just purchased (447-11610-00) comes with 2 rings, which is correct? Thanks for the help.
When I did a search on that part # 447-11610-00 I came up with pictures showing three rings, as they should be. The cruzinimage rings are also 3 ring sets.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-XS6...m20d788c139:m:mxX_XfLai4uTB-D7okyJLwQ&vxp=mtr

I guess you know now why it had no compression, lol. I've seen some strange things around here but this is a first.

I don't know for sure. I remember a Geo Metro that skipped one ring for fuel economy increases. My BIL bought one. Ran fine and never used oil. Don't some drag bikes go a ring short as well? Certainly 3 rings are going to be normally better than 2 all things considered, but I'm not sure it's a death sentence.

Back