How much is a offset worth with USD fork conversions

The Tin Man

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to some useful advice here I am learning whilst acquiring for my build.
I have a set of 2014 Yammy R1 forks and plan on buying a cognito moto stem or full tree with offset.

If i go with the tree will it make such a huge difference compared to the Factory R1 tree with a conversion stem?

The tree is a significant investment over a stem ($600 v $140) will i think i got my moneys worth? Ill just be riding to the coffee shop or to check the surf out and will rarely hit 60mph and then on good roads. Put the saved funds into an ignition?

Anyone with experience with offsets ?

Thanks in advance again

I think I need to see a pic. Yeah most modern forks have the tubes too far back to work without hitting tank.

Yes,you will need offset triple clamps if you are using a 19 front wheel with the different forks.I built mine with 99 gsxr forks and the offset clamp set is required to get the trail closer to where it was before.I havent tried lowering the rear to match the front.Some say that will help somewhat.I used the gsxr clamps and they have approx. 15 mm offset,the stock yamaha clamps have approx.50mm of offset.If you have installed a 17 inch wheel along with the fork/clamp combo, try calculating your trail by using the Race Tech Suspension Bible or Tony Foale's chassis tuning book.50-60 mm offset clamps should put it very close.Weiss Racing also makes a set of billet clamps for this conversion priced at 425 bones.

From experience most modern front ends are too short for the XS. The rake and trail are way off stock with them fitted. They can be made to work but require custom triple clamps.

Problems that may need resolving are rake ,trail, ground clearance, tank clearance on full lock, brake caliper mounting.
From your riding description standard forks with upgraded internals will be more than adequate, however it wont look "fast".

If I go down this track again (unlikely) I will be using XJR 1300 forks. They are at least as long as the XS forks but have larger diameter and blue spot calipers are standard.
I have fitted a SV 650 conventional front end to an XS frame, its on there now but it took so much effort to make it work properly I would not do it again.

Yes it MUST look fast! As for cost 2014 R1full front end controls etc, plus tear wheel (selling tree front rear wheels clip ons dash etc) cost me $500 Aussie $ ($400 US) sold my XS front and buy the time I sell the R1 bits I'm well in front it will pay For conversion tree and hub so it is not about $ and yes it is about looks but also planning to get things as good as possible. I have a Radian swing arm should help with trail.
Really I was wondering if the money might be better spent on ignition upgrades but they don't look cool and can come later getting the larger picture right first.

Gary photos will come as I progress I'll start a thread.

Bike freak thanks for the links I do think I'll go with 60 mm or so offsets I'll look at the ones you mentioned.

Signal , great avatar, the forks are almost the same length not sure what the rake will be like but rear shock length might help.

Keep up the good advice and insights, so much easier to follow and to bounce ideas around.

Back