How much to sell 79 xs650 special for?

Well I just took a look at Kelly Blue book and for kicks looked up a 1982 Heritage Special, just because I have one sitting in the garage. Well they are quoting for one in "Excellent Condition" $1,790.00. Mine is probably in what I would call "Fair to Good" so guess I'm keeping it.
Go try to buy one in excellent condition for that money. Tell me when you find one.

I just missed a '79 standard from an estate sale yesterday for----wait for it----$400!! I'm sure it was sold in the 1st 15 mins. it was posted.
I have a check mark on CL to notify me when an XS650 is posted...this was listed as a OHC 650 (on side cover) so I wasn't contacted. It looked very nice, but didn't have a title or run. I now wonder what would have happened had I offered him $600 (presuming he still had it, just waiting for it to be picked up) what would have happened. :umm:
Hey Bob, you live in California where everything is high priced compared to 'most' of the other states. Ride on....:bike:

Boy that is the truth ! everything costs more here but sells for less because anyone with any brains is FROM California, not IN california ! LOL
if it weren't for relatives We wouldn't be here either ! we'ed be Oregonians ! LOL
I've already Lost my Parents and the Wife's Folks are getting close to that stage too, and I figured she should enjoy her folks while she has the chance because it won't last forever... their good people and I love them as if they were my own , but their not really and I regret not being closer to my folks while they were here.... I don't want My Loving wife to make the same mistake I did.
..... this is a strange state, and I do not recommend it to anyone ! the people here are so concerned about your welfare that they have passed so many laws that your freedom has long sense been done away with, and the state and county laws are such that you must be rich to survive
when it costs over $350.00 to licenses a new car there is something bad wrong with the state ! I guess they don't believe you have a RIGHT to drive any more, just as you don't have a Right to have a home.... weird but true !
as the Oregonians say, Don't Californicate Oregon ! and guys the rest of the states follow after California laws.... BEWARE ! thinking to do Good they do extreme harm ! don't let your State follow suit !
Bob......

Go try to buy one in excellent condition for that money. Tell me when you find one.
Aren't ALL CL bikes in excellent condition?
It's official; I'm getting old and tired, a titled mostly complete 81 "stalled cafe project" sitting on flange spoke wheels, that "ran when fuggled", on CL at $300, offered 200, he countered at 250 and I didn't drive the van 75 miles to buy it.... Perhaps the grandkid's shed count that came up with 20 MCs cooled my enthusiasm.

Last edited:
LOL... anyway if the going price for a XS650 is $1500 to $1800 bucks I still have to say that if I were to sell my machine I would have to have enough money from it to replace it.... and it's mighty hard to find a decent bike of 250cc or better for that price yet alone a 650cc street bike
so as I said before to gauge what something is worth you simply have to discover what it would cost to replace it....
and that equates in my case to about $3000. bucks so although the xs650 may not be worth THAT much to others it is to me !
and although I would not buy one for that price I would sell one <GRIN>
.... Personally I like the older bikes and the new fuel injection machines just turn me off I don't want one, even though some of them produce Ungodly HP into the 120hp range ! but I'm not a racer nore do I go for Radical rides when I do ride, and I'm slowly getting a handle on what I actually would use in a bike.... I'm slowing down, I don't wann'a go that fast any more, so the big HP machines don't turn me on like they used to ... what I want is a single cylinder 500cc to 650cc bike that can go On road or off road like a XRL650 honda or TT500cc yamaha that is licensed
but a lighter machine would be nice and one that I can actually touch the ground on would be nice too ! the XRL Honda is way too tall
and it took a month to get it where I could put my feet flat on the ground ! but then it was perfect
but I can't find one of those for less than $2000. most are $3200 or so.yet their very old as well....
so it looks like I keep the old girl and keep her going because it's paid for ! HA !
Bob.......

Lots of opinions and good ones I`m sure. After all this is a forum but just one PICTURE will say it all.

I see this thread has been viewed 407 times as of now so thought I'd add a little Canadian perspective to this question.

In the Province of Ontario this year there have been 23 Specials advertised on Kijiji, which is our Craigslist. 1978's to 82's.
Of course: "Runs great, looks great, mint, nicely restored, mostly stock, great shape" etc etc.

Average price for those 23 = $2044
Highest = $4500
Lowest = $1200

It's not like I keep a spreadsheet on this or anything though.

Lets see what this discussion (and numbers) looks like in 5, then 10 years, after some more XS650's get gobbled up for bobbers, choppers and street trackers.
How many nice stockers will be around?
Will Yamaha produce another nostalgia model that is patterned directly after the XS and renew interest?
I'm holding onto mine; I predict they will at least maintain their market value.
Personal value? priceless. I don't actually care a whole lot about what the market value is.
Its just a matter of finding a place to put them.

Robin = Captain Methodical!! ;)

'Dude - YESSS!!! I was offered $3K for Lucille by a guy in a BMW 7-Series at a traffic light right after I got her running - but she's worth a lot more than that to me.

Pete

I see this thread has been viewed 407 times as of now so thought I'd add a little Canadian perspective to this question.

In the Province of Ontario this year there have been 23 Specials advertised on Kijiji, which is our Craigslist. 1978's to 82's.
Of course: "Runs great, looks great, mint, nicely restored, mostly stock, great shape" etc etc.

Highest = $4500
Lowest = $1200

Keep in mind, those are asking prices in Canadian dollars. It doesn't give selling price.

Huh, were'd I put my cape? Oh ya, that was the caped crusader one, wrong show.

Highest = $4500
Lowest = $1200
Hi Robin,
most Kijiji sellers accept a ~20% reduction and your number is in Canadian dollars.
Thus the Cdn$2044 asking price turns into a US$1308 selling price.
Right in the middle of Ace's asking price range of US$1,200/1,400.

There you go Fred. Thanks for taking the extra step and doing the price adjusting.
Interesting result ain't it?

There you go Fred. Thanks for doing the price adjusting.
Interesting ain't it?

If we take out that unrealistically high price, which is for a "totally restored", although does look real nice in the pics, we end up at around $1237 USD.
Huh.

I paid $1,200 for a 10,000 mile "well loved" but fully running 1979 Special missing only air filters and a front brake rebuild.

This was in NC thoug, and advertised on this board.

According to Craigslist you can at least double that price if you disasemble it and add the words "cafe racer" and "bobber" to the ad.

Don't forget "mint" and "over <insert idiotic amount of money here> invested".

That word "invested" always makes me laugh. I love my bikes and lord knows, I've spent some bucks on them - but "invested" is not a word I'd apply to those expenditures.

Spray paint everything black, remove the rear shocks and front brakes and post it up for $5500.

:laugh2:o_O

Mine finally sold for $1800 with a fresh rebuild on the engine. (Valve job, cylinders honed, new rings, all new gaskets/seals/o-rings, new clutch) .

I had to take it on the installment plan tho, $100 a week until the price was covered. Fortunately, I sorta knew the guy and my daughter is Office Manager and Payroll Clerk where he works so I always got my money on schedule.

^ Yes unless you just want to do the work I would question the ROI of a new top end on a bike I was going to sell.

Back