How Often Do You Change Plugs and Kicking vs Starter

Yamaha77

Banned
Reaction score
My XS650 is a bit wonky. Sometimes it wont start right up because it runs lean. PO put airpods on it and it leaned things a bit too much. The only time is will start is when I have the choked fully depressed so the mixture is rich.

Anyway, lately its been starting hard. I last changed the plugs back in September. Im changing them again today. How often do you change your plugs, and do you ever gap them over the recommended .031?

Last edited:
My XS650 is a bit wonky. Sometimes it wont start right up because it runs lean. Bozo PO put airpods on it and it leaned things a bit too much. The only time is will start is when I have the choked fully depressed so the mixture is rich.
Anyway, lately its been starting hard. I last changed the plugs back in September. Im changing them again today. How often do you change your plugs, and do you ever gap them over the recommended .031?

Hi Yamaha77,
Some of the running lean is the EPA mandated restricted idle adjustment.
Dunno what they did to strangulate the '77s but whatever restrictors they used, rip them out of there so you can richen up the idle.
Also the XS650 electric starter is a battery hog.
If your battery ain't new and hot the starter will suck the battery Voltage down to where it's too low to get a good spark.
Try boosting the bike with jumpers from a car battery. If the bike fires up right away it's new battery time.
Automobile spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles. Lets say a 4-cycle bike's plugs should be OK for a quarter of that.
You posted your XS650 had 14,000 miles on it so in theory the plugs your bike came with should still be good.
But how often do I change plugs? Too often, just like you. I check the gap with my thumbnail. It seems to work OK.

Last edited:
Yamaha77,

Disparaging other members is not cool, especially when you have evidence sitting in front of you that undermines your name-calling.

You (and some others) are aware that I'm the PO who took your bike from a sad non-running barn find to a good runner. There was an interim PO who had it for maybe a month. I told you all this in a PM conversation we last year when you contacted me, and that the proper-sized Uni pods are recommended and proven.

I also informed you of this info:

" Here is some of what I did for it: Recent work done: Electrical system overhauled, every connection cleaned, antiquated rectifier and regulator upgraded to solid state. Charges as it should. Good battery. CARBS overhauled and re-jetted and synched properly. New UNI pod filters (hi-performance). Fresh oil, brake system flushed, new condensers, plugs, wires and plug caps and plugs. Valves adjusted, as was the cam chain.

and....

" I increased the carb mains to 135.
I increased the pilots one step to 25.5
Of course, the owner may have changed these jets.
As you noticed when you test drove the bike, there is no hesitation or backfiring. Acceleration is smooth. Unless he (the other PO) changed the jets.
The exhaust is a vintage Hooker system, Rare. "

You went ahead and bought the bike, and then contacted me to inform me of this:

" I picked up the bike and have news. There is a legendary japanese builder named TAKAHATA who worked for Honda and Yamaha in the 70s. He visits the garage where my bikes are stored. This morning I picked up the bike from the guy you sold it to, and brought it to the garage. Takahata looked over your bike (Steve, the guy you sold it to made no changes at all) and said you are a genius. This man is a legend in the bike world and said you made the bike run amazingly, even better than the factory! Hats off to you! Im very happy with the bike. "

So, it seems that you have new issue. I suggest you go back to your mechanic and review any changes he has made. I think I remember that you said in a previous thread that he changed the carb settings.

Yamaha77,

Disparaging other members is not cool, especially when you have evidence sitting in front of you that undermines your name-calling.

You (and some others) are aware that I'm the PO who took your bike from a sad non-running barn find to a good runner. There was an interim PO who had it for maybe a month. I told you all this in a PM conversation we last year when you contacted me, and that the proper-sized Uni pods are recommended and proven.

I also informed you of this info:

" Here is some of what I did for it: Recent work done: Electrical system overhauled, every connection cleaned, antiquated rectifier and regulator upgraded to solid state. Charges as it should. Good battery. CARBS overhauled and re-jetted and synched properly. New UNI pod filters (hi-performance). Fresh oil, brake system flushed, new condensers, plugs, wires and plug caps and plugs. Valves adjusted, as was the cam chain.

and....

" I increased the carb mains to 135.
I increased the pilots one step to 25.5
Of course, the owner may have changed these jets.
As you noticed when you test drove the bike, there is no hesitation or backfiring. Acceleration is smooth. Unless he (the other PO) changed the jets.
The exhaust is a vintage Hooker system, Rare. "

You went ahead and bought the bike, and then contacted me to inform me of this:

" I picked up the bike and have news. There is a legendary japanese builder named TAKAHATA who worked for Honda and Yamaha in the 70s. He visits the garage where my bikes are stored. This morning I picked up the bike from the guy you sold it to, and brought it to the garage. Takahata looked over your bike (Steve, the guy you sold it to made no changes at all) and said you are a genius. This man is a legend in the bike world and said you made the bike run amazingly, even better than the factory! Hats off to you! Im very happy with the bike. "

So, it seems that you have new issue. I suggest you go back to your mechanic and review any changes he has made. I think I remember that you said in a previous thread that he changed the carb settings.

Dont you think this would have been a much better PRIVATE, INBOXED conversation instead of creating needless drama?

I think it is very crass and childish to repost my PRIVATE emails to you, meant for YOUR eyes only, in this topic. Its incredibly irresponsible and oversensitive.

NO ONE would have known your identity had you not made this post.

You took offense but I meant the second owner. NOT YOU. You are the FIRST owner. The guy I bought it from, to me, is the PREVIOUS OWNER and he made changes (he is a very nice guy btw and i still keep in contact with him, and didnt mean to disparage him in any way) which is why i contacted you in the first place. In any event the bike is unhealthily running LEAN.

I think its important to remember we are just talking about bikes. not open heart surgery and doctor skills. No need to get offended or be sensitive.

Last edited:
I sold the bike though the classifieds at this website. The pics are still there for all to see.

I would not have copied pieces of your PM had you not trashed me.

Keep your story straight. You told me previously that Steve (your PO) made no changes.

Last edited:
I sold the bike though the classifieds at this website. The pics are still there for all to see.

I would not have copied pieces of your PM had you not trashed me.

I repeat.....

Dont you think this would have been a much better PRIVATE, INBOXED conversation? NO ONE is searching through classifieds (from a year ago) to determine who you are. Youre being oversensitive.

Last edited:
Yamaha77 - Out of interest, did you get any further with the brake situation? Have you found a master cylinder with a smaller piston size and if so would you recommend it? Regarding the carbs running lean - have you checked for any air leaks yet?

Thanks.

I hesitate to comment on anything said in this thread, but I will offer that having owned several XS650's over the past 40 years, I have never seen one yet that would start from cold without full choke (it is actually NOT a choke with a blocker plate - but rather Yamaha calls it an "enricher" circuit in the carbs) - no matter what the temperature.

I hesitate to comment on anything said in this thread, but I will offer that having owned several XS650's over the past 40 years, I have never seen one yet that would start from cold without full choke (it is actually NOT a choke with a blocker plate - but rather Yamaha calls it an "enricher" circuit in the carbs) - no matter what the temperature.

Your contributions are always welcome. Ive just noticed my bike can be particularly hard to start sometimes, although everything is in working order. Im changing the plugs just to be sure and will post a pic of them

Yamaha77 - Out of interest, did you get any further with the brake situation? Have you found a master cylinder with a smaller piston size and if so would you recommend it? Regarding the carbs running lean - have you checked for any air leaks yet?

Thanks.

Hi Paul

My brakes are fine. I suppose I was alarmed at the difference between how my Hondas brake and how my Yamaha brakes. Its stops on a dime. Havent had to do anything.

I dont think there are any airleaks with my bike, I just think it MAY have been jetted wrong or the mixture is off.

I'll bet your plugs are fine - perhaps just need to be cleaned and gapped to the recommended dimension.

I would simply use the enricher and keep riding. Without it, you can grind or kick for a very long time before they will start, in my experience. If it is a warm day, one they pop - even a little - you can shut off the enricher.

I'll bet your plugs are fine - perhaps just need to be cleaned and gapped to the recommended dimension.

I would simply use the enricher and keep riding. Without it, you can grind or kick for a very long time before they will start, in my experience. If it is a warm day, one they pop - even a little - you can shut off the enricher.

Thanks for your advice. Youre quiet useful and helpful and I appreciate that.

Stop blaming the PO. Any work done means any problem then becomes yours or the person you got to work on the part.

Oct 5th 2016.
Mechanic worked on bike. Valves/carbs
http://www.xs650.com/threads/leak-leak-leak-carb-update-valve-update.47360/page-3

Oct 7th 2016
Fuel.......... Meant to say Rust got past the filter into the carbs. All fixed running like a dream
(I Altered the post from Fuel to Rust)
http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650-is-fixed-and-running-like-a-dream-video-update.47414/

Oct 11th 2016
Changing the mixture screw setting
http://www.xs650.com/threads/ghost-mixture-screws-they-haunt-me-make-it-stop.47435/

Oct 21st 2016 Carb problems.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/look-at-this-gunk-resting-the-yamaha-riding-the-honda-750.47516/

Feb 12 2017
lean carbs
http://www.xs650.com/threads/1-pressure-washing-and-2-lean-condition-carbs.48155/

After all this work, (and 5months after purchase with many miles ridden), has been done to the fuel system the PO cannot be blamed for any ongoing problems you may be having.

Last edited:
WillyD posted this to you earlier. You should take his advice. See below:

Screen Shot 2017-01-18 at 8.11.25 PM.png

Who done what or PO is insignificant. I do a lot of reading/research before I ask questions. I use a infrared temp gun to get an idea on how hot I'm running. I'm past pointing fingers or relying on mechanics. All the information is here if I look hard enough. With that said, I'm positive any carb issues and guess work will be a thing of the past with this. Of course I'll have to weld bungs on my pipes and put plugs in after tuning. My 2010 Triumph came stock with O2 sensors which is nice.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    252.3 KB · Views: 153
Who done what or PO is insignificant. I do a lot of reading/research before I ask questions. I use a infrared temp gun to get an idea on how hot I'm running. I'm past pointing fingers or relying on mechanics. All the information is here if I look hard enough. With that said, I'm positive any carb issues and guess work will be a thing of the past with this.

That's a neat little unit JRay.

PS - that little guy on your signature box looks like a livewire!

That's a neat little unit JRay.

PS - that little guy on your signature box looks like a livewire!
Chunk from "The Goonies" My favorite movie growing up. Haha! I do honestly feel some people ask questions to be lazy. Carbs are carbs. Air Fuel mixture is air fuel mixture. It. Is. That. Simple.

Ive worked on a few giys rides after they tried to up the carbs. Somehow i have the touch on carbs. If you just listen to what the ride is telling you, it isnt that hard.
Jray, is that a all in one? Do you just plug in to a bung and adjust to get the stochastic "spelling" the best at all throttle positions? Got a link?

(Whistle!!!) quite a bit more than a hand full of jets. 150$ plus handfull of jets. I'll go by ear and seats of pants for now. Cool that a system like that is out there. Thanks

Back