How quiet can these bikes be?

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
I'm starting a slow search for an XS650. I live in Suburbia and one of the things I intend to use this bike for is going to the gym at 5AM when my kids and not a lot of neighbors are awake. I hate it when loud crap starts before anyone is out of bed and I don't want to be that guy. Has anyone actually made an attempt to make the bike quiet? At WOT it can scream, but at put-put speed i'd really like it to be quiet.

Hi Pete,
the late model stock exhaust systems just about strangulated the XS650 to death and I don't think you could get an air-cooled vertical twin to run much quieter than that.
Some options.
Buy an electric scooter.
Or an LE Velocette.
Or, how far is it to the gym? Buy a bicycle and get fitter yet.

+1 fred. with the stock exhaust system the bike is as quiet as it will ever be. after 30-35 years the stock mufflers will have lost much of their muffling ability anyway. I had the same "concern" when I moved into a retirement community so I built an electric bicycle for short(10-12 mile) early morning trips to the grocery store, post office, pharmacy, home depot, my dentist. at only 18-20 mph I have to plan the rides more carefully but it works just great and it's fun and cheap! stealth mode on :thumbsup:

I guess im that guy lol. My only transport atm. Made me chuckle. Well I guess 7am not as bad

Posted via Mobile

I actually used the e-bike to commute to work for almost 2 years. about 8 miles round trip. terrific when the weather was nice(below 95 F) and not so nice when it was 110F but it would have been about the same if riding the xs650.

77-79 standard pipes are quiet I'd go past the nursing home early Sundays on my 79.

77-79 standard pipes are quiet I'd go past the nursing home early Sundays on my 79.
Yeah, you go past. You don't start it full choke for 30 seconds and sit there with the tips pointed in the window of some poor widow .its the initial startup in the am that's loud. I have glass packs on my chop, and just cruising by, it isn't that loud, but starting it will ring your ears.
ide like to see this home grown electric bike.

I'm talking about the 79 that's completely stock (points too) Angus. It runs well, no revving needed to "get r going" If the BS38's had a fast idle cam it'd be perfect. I have to reach down and bump the choke off about the time I have my helmet strapped on. It's a bit grumpier in cool weather.

But, but, I AM being quiet!

How about a nice pair of 38s?

a_pair_of_38s_by_airshowdave-d4a58l4.jpg

:wink2:

OK I have a better idea... my driveway angles down. How about I just roll, pop-start it and put-put down the street for a minute. Then I should be good to go.

Might work... I've found that the stock pipes/mufflers on my 77D are quieter than even some of the Gold Wings I've heard when started up side by side. If you "ride quiet"- take off in as low an RPM as practical and don't sit and idle and blip the throttle, you might be fine. I live in an old-fart condo complex and have no complaints no matter what time I start it up and go. The driveway and road outside the gate are either flat or a little downhill so I don't have to give it the goose until I'm well clear of the neighborhood.

When I used to go on very early morning Sunday rides, I would walk my Buell about 3 blocks to where there were few residences! My system was quieter than many Harleys you hear, but I guess the "staccato-ness" (?) of it would set off car alarms all over the place!

I don't want it to sound like i'm trying to make a bike sound like a Prius either .......

My neighbor drives an escalade. Not sure those mufflers are stock or what but that thing growls pretty well and he goes to work early some days.

I just don't want the "Blap-blap-bropp-bropp" loud a$$ noise that i hear from some of the midlife crisis riders in the neighborhood.

A stock or near stock set of mufflers will get you what you want. As with the Harley-set, some people equate noise to power. It's not necessarily the case. Designing an exhaust system which is both effective powerwise and relatively quiet is something of an art. Crafting some sort of straight-pipe that looks "cool" and then making it run acceptably by adjusting the carburetor is something lots of people have been able to do. Just because it's loud and doesn't pop, fart and belch doesn't mean that it is making the most power or even puts the power in the RPM range in which you will be riding the bike. Michael "Mercury" Morris has a lot of information on the 650 Central website about pipes and how to make them work.

I'm starting a slow search for an XS650. I live in Suburbia and one of the things I intend to use this bike for is going to the gym at 5AM when my kids and not a lot of neighbors are awake. I hate it when loud crap starts before anyone is out of bed and I don't want to be that guy. Has anyone actually made an attempt to make the bike quiet? At WOT it can scream, but at put-put speed i'd really like it to be quiet.
Sorry old son, but I think you`re rather missing the point of XS650s these days. They hark back to the `70s when bikes weren`t quiet and we were 40 years younger. My brothers` beautiful `73 XS2 has always run the genuine long seamless Dunstalls on 150 main jets and an otherwise standard motor and it will outrun any Triumph or BSA twin while sounding totally unique! I`m trying to film it and post on the forum for you guys but the techy bit is defeating me at the moment - sorry

Back