How realistic is this idea?

JP50515

XS650 Junkie
Reaction score
Alright guys so here's my situation. I'm currently running front brakes only on my 77' bobber, because my lack of planning landed my battery box in the way of a pivot for the brake lever.

Now I have seen guys run cables to operate the rear drum instead of linkage.

Here is my crazy idea...and tell me how safe/realistic this sounds.

Would it be possible to install a second throttle on the left grip to operate the rear brake, connected via cable?

Essentially go on the right and stop on the left....

I'm just spit balling here but i'm curious as to whether anyone has ever tried this

Yeah that's my concern too, but I bet with enough practice it would become second nature just like anything else.

The braking action needs to be second nature. Figure out some safe! brake linkage running to your right foot. Just my .02 cents.

Haha i've got no room for a pivot unless I modify my foot peg to accept a lever like the tc bro's kit does

Looks like it's back to the drawing board....

I had a similar situation where I made my battery box too big. Now it's a pen holder since I made a 2nd, smaller one. Wasn't willing to sacrifice good braking on account of a measurement flub on my part.

Cable operated rear brakes usually anchor that cable to the brake plate. That means you'd need a different brake plate of some sort, possibly the whole rear hub. This is the cable operated brake for a T500 Suzuki .....

RrWheelDone6.jpg

It's possible you could adapt one of the early 650 plates that had the tab for the brake wear sensor. It isn't a straight shot to the brake arm but you could find a shorter arm probably (or shorten the original). This one's from a TX750 but the bracket is very similar .....

750RearBrake.jpg

someone on here had hooked up a hydraulic to the rear brake. some pics of your setup might help us give you advice.

Not sure if it's a great idea or not, but for what it's worth... Exile Cycles makes a reverse-wound left-side internal throttle mechanism. They market it as a way to run a twist-action clutch cable. Not too sure if that's a great idea either, but I like the engineering!

I have a buddy who has a cable operated rear brake on a stock hub. He fabbed up a bracket to make it work.

Here's the best shot i've got on hand of that area....if anyone has ideas please throw em out.

full

Lol I can't fit it any other way, it's too wide....and I dont' want to grind and reweld and repaint....if I must...I will. What I think may work and someone jump in here if they see an issue....is this

Fab up a pedal that operates on the same basis as the tcbro's forward controls for my current pegs, connect that to a pivot, welded to the rear frame somewhere, and run that to the brake....

I do not have room to run the pivot and mount for the stock pedal anywhere so this may be my only option if I want to keep the traditional set up..

Back