how remove speedometer from guage housing? 1975 xs650b

estcstm3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hi All,

My speedometer face cracked in half at the screws that keep the face on. I have read through some threads on taking the front glass off to get to the face, but I cant seem to get the speedometer itself out of the housing that holds it and the tach. Is there something holding it in? I though I could just pull up with some force but it doesnt seem to want to come.

Am i just being a puss, I hate forcing things becuase I usually break something else. If there is nothing else there then I will work it out, just dont want to break anything.

Thank!

The rubber that holds the 74/75 gauges in the bracket, usually melts and is a pain to get the gauges out. The cups have some lugs to help hold them in place.

When the rubber melts to the gauge it wont slide out and the rubber has a grove running around the center so the gauge bracket is held in place.

some pics that may help.

Remove cup buy undoing the 2 nuts on the bottom.
full

The lugs, (whats left of them), that help to hold the cup in place
full

Damper rubber gauge mount melted to the cup
full

As can be seen, the recess in the rubber damper the gauge bracket sits in. Have to over come this to prise out the gauge from the bracket
full

Got it down pat now.

Few pics.......SD card in computer...........Pics Into folder..........resize..........post in album.....Post in thread.

10 min or so and there for a life time:smoke:

okay so I got my gauges out but how the hell do you get the speedometer needle off? I got the glass fronts off and the face since mine was cracked in half, but how do I get the needle off?

Caution!...............Check to see if there is a stop, at the rear of the Speedometer, where the spring is mounted for needle tension.

Some of the earlier gauges i have, 74/75 don't have a needle stop on the gauge face, ( i dont have one apart and can't remember), but i think they have it where the spring is mounted. 76 -78 Standard Gauges have a needle stop on the face plate and all Special, (including 79 Standard), gauges have no needle stops at all.

Important to mark the rear drums before removing the needle and loose the spring tension. This is not covered in the link above.

not sure what the needle stop looks like, but I was able to pop the needle right off after reading those links. I marked on the case where 0 was to realign the needle.....hopefully im okay after that.

Back