How small can I go? battery!

mouser

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I always kick start my bike...I get 4 yrs out of a cheap battery that way..
What is the smallest battery can I use? Are there any mods I can do to enable using a tiny battery?. I have an 80 but want to convert back to points ignition. A frame modification I am planning depends on battery size to work...

If you do the permanent magnet alternator swap I believe you will also need to change over to the Pamco, but then you could go either batteryless and used a capacitor (http://www.jpcycles.com/product/381-043) or you can use a small battery like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/12Volt-0-8ah-Sealed-Lead-Acid-SLA-Battery-/300593935946?pt=PCA_UPS&hash=item45fccb764a) that others are using with good results. Or if you don't want to do the PMA swap you could take a look at http://www.ballisticparts.com/products/batteries/batteries.php and get you a stock spec battery with a smaller footprint. Hope this helps.

with no other mods, 0.8 AH SLA 12v will work for kick only. just have to solder on a plug. don't expect this to turn over an electric start motor though

I was running a .8 ah / 12V elelctric gate battery. After a while though the battery began to make the bike act up. I have a TCI and the bike began to pop and act weak. Also the battery lasts about 3-4 minutes, maybe, when not running. So if the bike is not a 1 or 2 kicker the battery will drain quick. I went back to a stock size.

I use 12v 7ah gel cell batteries in both my 73 and 83 xs.

Both are kick only and should last between 3-5 years. I'd recommend replacing after 3.

It's a pretty small battery and you could go smaller but I feel 12v7 is the best over all for size and over all capacity.

I'm running a 12V 5Ah on my kick only bobber, has LED turn signals, brake and guage lights and a halogen headlight. It's about the size of a coffee cup. 3rd season and over 4K miles and it's doing great.

I'm running a 12V 5Ah on my kick only bobber, has LED turn signals, brake and guage lights and a halogen headlight. It's about the size of a coffee cup. 3rd season and over 4K miles and it's doing great.

I think that is the one I will try...I was just looking at one. Perfect size. Bonus! only $30.00 !!! Is there any chance of overcharging these totally sealed types? I plan to put an on/off switch on my headlight as well. How much do halogen headlights draw compared to stock.??? Anything else I should like to know?

LOL a veritable barrage of questions!!!

Thanks!

Shiny side up! Ride safe!

i've been running the same battery for 2 years, first with points now with a pamco

I was running a .8 ah / 12V elelctric gate battery. After a while though the battery began to make the bike act up. I have a TCI and the bike began to pop and act weak. Also the battery lasts about 3-4 minutes, maybe, when not running. So if the bike is not a 1 or 2 kicker the battery will drain quick. I went back to a stock size.

I think that is the one I will try...I was just looking at one. Perfect size. Bonus! only $30.00 !!! Is there any chance of overcharging these totally sealed types? I plan to put an on/off switch on my headlight as well. How much do halogen headlights draw compared to stock.??? Anything else I should like to know?

LOL a veritable barrage of questions!!!

Thanks!

Shiny side up! Ride safe!

I have a on/off for my headlight as well. I turn it off when trying to start the bike. I'm not sure about over charging it. I am running the Chrysler Regulator and the home made rectifier. PamcoPete helped me with my setup on the xs650GarageUSA forum. One thing he said is that with such a small battery, if it falls below 10V the charging system can overcharge it and blow it. As for the halogen, I'm not sure about the draw. For the first few months I road it, I was checking the battery volts all the time and always found it to be in the 12.5 volt area. Also I had some standard headlights go bad because of the vibrations and the way I mounted it. I figured since I'm maintaining charge so well, I'd switch up to a halogen setup where the bulb if gromited in the headlight and could stand up better to the vibrations. It's working great! I just about always have my headlight on (except when starting) and at night its very bright. Like I'm a freight train :eek:.

Building my own wire harness has been a true learning experience. That's all the fun :bike:

Enjoy

Back