Small diesel motors in older small motorcycles

magoo66

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I’m having a notion to buy one of the smaller diesel motors now sold pretty reasonably priced and modify into an sl125 frame or something of that size and era I still have around or cheap easy access to.Followed some older larger diesel motorcycle designs and build projects and outcomes and was always intrigued.Three to many m/c projects underway most the time as many of you can relate, and aheadful of old desires to start another.Curious if others here have or are building any m/c project using one of these newer diesel motors or similar?

Attachments

• IMG_5399.jpeg
    IMG_5399.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5386.jpeg
    IMG_5386.jpeg
    204.7 KB · Views: 31
After some serious measuring and layout design the small diesel motor in the small frame idea is aborted.Full go ahead from the house to “just do it in an old XS frame with the right size motor in case you finish it,you’ll ride it.”Makes sense to me.And so it begins.😁👍

Attachments

• IMG_5404.jpeg
    IMG_5404.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 15
iirc some diesel bikes are in production, some of these are for military use, and presumably have some spirit...however not very much spirit...anyway, I'd would examine how the factories have done it...
(and aborting is best done before quickening! imho it was the best choice to set the idea aside.) It may be that one of the military diesels bikes comes up for sale...count change!

iirc some diesel bikes are in production, some of these are for military use, and presumably have some spirit...however not very much spirit...anyway, I'd would examine how the factories have done it...
(and aborting is best done before quickening! imho it was the best choice to set the idea aside.) It may be that one of the military diesels bikes comes up for sale...count change!
I’m aware of the factory diesel M/C’s.No desire to own one.Passed on a couple opportunities to have one.However building one,cause I haven’t done it yet is why I’m going to get one started.May help someone here down the road as well.👍

Back when I was working, we used to use small air cooled Kohler diesel engines on some of our equipment. Very loud and vibrate like crazy! I think in a bike frame it would shake you right off of the seat. The engines we used were around 10 hp. We also built a machine with a 17hp air cooled diesel and it didnt vibrate as much but was quite noisy.

Like this.

https://engines.kohlerenergy.com/en/products/KD15-440

Oh, and for fun I tried to pull start it.

Back when I was working, we used to use small air cooled Kohler diesel engines on some of our equipment. Very loud and vibrate like crazy! I think in a bike frame it would shake you right off of the seat. The engines we used were around 10 hp. We also built a machine with a 17hp air cooled diesel and it didnt vibrate as much but was quite noisy.

Like this.

https://engines.kohlerenergy.com/en/products/KD15-440

Oh, and for fun I tried to pull start it.
Yeppers.😁👍

Not that in theory it wouldn't work, but...

It might be more fun to ....

For no good reason at all, just kuz, I'd like to see a bench run of a pumper carb fitted to a pulse jet...perhaps with some acetylene doped kero.... (yes, that's soluble and it makie bangie)

Speaking of dead-end but fun projects.

Enjoy!

Back