which brake option to go with

RPC3

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've got a 78 xs650E with what I thought was the stock brake set up. I've got the caliper rebuilt and new brake lines ready to go (running single disc front brake), but unfortunately I haven't been able to get the m/c rebuilt. I bought the mikes rebuild kit and it ended up being a little different than what came out of my m/c. The piston was a bit longer, it didn't have a brass disc, and it included a washer which I didn't initially have. I also ordered a reservoir-m/c body o-ring off e-bay and it ended up being the right diameter but too thick, again making me think something is off.

In attempting to install the kit I measured the snap ring and washer both to be 18.5mm, and the snap ring would compress to just about 17mm when the eyelets touched. The piston from both old and new are 14mm, so I think that part is re-usable. The bore the snap ring fit in measured 17mm exactly, so I dind't think it was going to be possible to insert the parts I had. In an effort the get the snap ring to fit I ended up bending it, so that part is toast.

In reviewing multiple master cylinders on e-bay (stock, same years - granted some have the sloped reservoir where mine is flat), all look slightly different than what I have. The drain hole pattern where the reservoir feeds from the body to the bore is a bit different, and my m/c is stamped with "ASCO 12" opposed to Nissin. So perhaps I'm off, but I'm pretty sure my m/c isn't stock, but instead something similar to: http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Y.../RD400E/MASTER CYLINDER BRAKE HOSE/parts.html which is 14mm in bore but a bit different.

To be honest, my m/c body is fine, but the assembly isn't great. The mirror threads are stripped, the reservoir has seen much better days, and the o-ring is still likely shot between the reservoir. My options at this point are:

1) struggle to get the rebuild kit I bought fit into the m/c I have with a smaller snap ring (just bought a few from napa, but I think the inside diameter is going to be too small to retain the piston). Potentially no more money but also probably not going to work

2) get a "proper" used m/c body (a forum member might have one that I could be fortunate to get), which will likely still need a rebuild and either a new rebuild kit or a special ordered snap ring to go with the rebuild kit I've half destroyed. Potentially $30-$40 and a week or two wait on shipping

3) get a newer, high end m/c either from mikes/650 central/dime city cycles - perfectly good option, but expensive. $75-$150.

4) get one of the $30 m/c off e-bay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brake-Maste...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4174b1ea70&vxp=mtr) that look fine and come with a spare rebuild kit, but are just the furthest deviation from the stock look. Still, an attractive option assuming they don't look too modern.

I get bird brained when it comes to spending money on my bike, so I could probably talk myself into a $100+ option, but I think more importantly is that I want to get the bike on the road before the 6 weeks of summer in Maine are gone. Given the options, what path do you think I should go down?

Attachments

• 20140510_114514.jpg
    20140510_114514.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 20140510_114443.jpg
    20140510_114443.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 156
  • 20140510_114419.jpg
    20140510_114419.jpg
    210.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 20140510_114359.jpg
    20140510_114359.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 20140510_114346.jpg
    20140510_114346.jpg
    230.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 20140422_210541.jpg
    20140422_210541.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 152
You could buy one from E-bay, and see if it works for you. For that little money, its no doubt built in China, and is of low quality. If it does not work for you, you're not out much money.

For myself, I prefer high quality for my brakes, as my life could depend on it. I recently bought a new Brembo front master cylinder for around $120. Money well spent, in my opinion.

I've had trouble with a 76-77 master cylinder I rebuilt. The parts were ok, but for some reason I can't find the fluid leaks out after a bit of time. I have a 12.9 or 13 mm master from a Honda that works well but I don't like the lever. It has no adjustment like the original.
Those you link to have an adjustable lever. I have sent a message to the seller, not sure if it's the same one in your link, asking about bore size. If it has a 14 mm bore it will be just the thing for my dual disc set up. I will get one to try.
The 12.9 or 13 mm is just a bit too small and works the brake too well. I have a 16 mm on there now but it feels like I'm pulling a block of wood. Very hard lever pull with not much braking.
Leo

Do like Roy, me and lots of others, go to a smaller MC. It really wakes up the brakes, much better feel than that boat anchor stock MC. The stocker's OK for museum and parade duty but if you RIDE change it out. MY secret goto is the TW200 (and a few other Yamaha dirt bike MCs), 11mm and uses the stock brake light harness AND mirror mount. The brake line bolt is on the front not the end. Here's one on Flea bay. It's likely this is the single best change you can make to an XS650. I use the 650central Vesrah pads with mine. If you go this way you also need to use a teflon line (commonly called stainless steel)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380900635392?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Attachments

• 77 brake detail.jpg
    77 brake detail.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 180
Thanks for the input. I ended up getting the rebuild kit in today but I'm still going to take the advice and pick up one of those used tw200 m/cs. Price point plus added functionality look like an excellent combination.

So as I mentioned, I screwed up the original snap ring that came with my rebuild kit pretty good. I bought a few spares at NAPA and after doing my clutch pushrod seal and re-torquing my drive sprocket I decided to try the rebuild of the m/c one more time.

After at least another hour (I'm stubborn/apparently not bright) I finally got the snap ring into the bore. And it didn't work, because the eyelets had little nubs that shortened the interior diameter of the ring and were dragging on the piston. Being even more stubborn, I ground the nubs down and relatively easily (finally) I got the snap ring back down and viola, m/c rebuilt. Now, the dust boot doesn't fit the bore (call it strike 3 on not having the stock m/c...the dust boot in my rebuilt kit was too short and too small a diameter), but the inside diameter obviously fit - so its in there but not a great fit).

Of course it makes sense that everything is back together now that I'm going to buy a complete replacement. Ah well..

Do like Roy, me and lots of others, go to a smaller MC. It really wakes up the brakes, much better feel than that boat anchor stock MC. - - -
Hi Gary,
I wen't t'other way and installed the front leftside disk that every non-North American XS650 came with from the factory.
(Leftside caliper from XS750/850/1100 Standard, Extra disk from XS650/1100.)
The post '76 stock wooden feel caliper turns into a real nice one when it's feeding 2 calipers instead of only 1.
And switching the brake lines from fabric to stainless steel really improves things, too.

Tell me about it. I use the reccomended m/c from mikes for the cast 2 piston caliper, put a brembo 2 piston on now, still wooden. Time for a smaller mm one.

Posted via Mobile

Back