74 XS650 Bobber Issues!!

EbonHawk

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been a fan of the XS650 and this site for years. Probably about 8 years ago or so now I had my first xs project and was a member on this site. Life happened and I had to sell my project and can't remember my log in and have a different email. Fast forward to a couple months ago and I decided I was going to have another xs and it was going to be my daily driver. I was either going to find an unmolested classic, running but needing some touching up, mint condition that I could maintain and take care of, or a bobber similar to the vision I had for my own. After missing out on the first 3 or 4 I liked online and continuing to put every penny I could aside, I came across a bobber the day it was posted that intrigued me. I contacted the seller and met up with him to take a look. He had it parked in his front yard and as I pulled up closer to the house my eyes lit up. The pic he had posted didn't come close to doing it justice. It had so many similarities to what I had envisioned mine would look like. It was love at first site! Trying to contain my excitement I was asking him some general questions about the bike. He said "you wanna take it on a test ride?" Absolutely!! He told me the electric start didn't work well unless the bike was already warm and on the 3rd kick she was purring. I rode it around the block shifting through the gears and it ran great. I pulled back in the yard and cut it off. As I got off he came around to the petcock and closed it saying it leaked a little if you left it open when the bike was off. I told him I had to talk to my better half, but I was very interested. The next evening I got back in touch saying I could be there in a couple days to pick it up.I was so smitten I didn't even ask if there was wiggle room on the asking price which was a little higher than what I had put aside so far.

I went to pick it up a few days later and we were signing paperwork and all and I remember him saying that his dad recommended I run non ethanol gas in it because of the age. I don't recall ever hearing or reading that anywhere, but it was something to keep in mind and look into. She fired up on the 3rd kick again and I was off. I got about 2 miles down the road when it started sputtering and backfiring. I made it another maybe half of mile and it cut off. I got off and noticed there was gas all over the bottom half of the engine. I opened the gas cap and she was bone dry. I pushed her probably a quarter mile to the nearest gas station and filled it up. About 50 kicks later she fired up and I was off. She ran "ok" for the 35 mile trip home. She sputtered here and there and I had to roll on the throttle at stop signs to keep her from choking off. I got her home in the garage and within minutes there were 2 puddles. One small puddle of oil and a larger puddle of gas. I checked the oil the next day and the level was good so I fired it up again and took off down the street. It spit and sputtered and cut off a mile down the rode. I couldn't get it fired back up and felt like it was getting flooded so I cut the fuel off and let it sit for 10 minutes. I got it fired back up and got it home.

Skipping ahead 2-3 weeks, refueling it once, and more of the same between gas leaking, sputtering, backfiring and choking off and I decided today was going to be the day I took the carbs off, figured out the leaking issue, and obviously what the other fuel issue was if not related. A few minutes in to removing the carbs I noticed one of the lines leading from the petcock to my left carb was not connected. Thinking this was my entire problem I buttoned everything back up and fired it up and took off down the road. Nope! leaking stopped, but still running like crap. I pulled her back in the garage and after several YouTube videos I had the carbs off and apart. I didn't find anything wrong. Resonating in my head at this point was the afterthought the guy told me about his dad preferring non ethanol gas and I concluded I had fixed the leak, the carbs looked clean, and that was the only logical solution. I drained every drop of gas out the tank and took off to the nearest store that had a non ethanol pump. I refilled her and on about the 5th kick she fired up and sounded strong. Optimistically I hopped on and took off down the street. She spit and sputtered as I told myself it was just the remaining ethanol gas going through and I would be good in a minute. A minute later she completely choked out and I was in the middle of the rode. I kicked and kicked it to no avail. I pushed her uphill home and back in the garage. Leak is gone, but if anything, running worse. I'm at a loss. HELP!

Congrats on getting the bike of your dreams.

Now, to the nightmare. Yes, you've got more carb work to do. You're probably already familiar with the carb guide. Time for a revisit.

And, you know what the guyz will say about those pleated filters.
EbonHawkCarb.jpg

Congrats on the new bike!
In my opinion there are several things to do , first, as stated above, dissemble the carbs and clean them thoroughly, spray carb cleaner through every port,( dont get carb cleaner on the slide diaphragms) check diaphragms for pinholes or tears, set float levels, sync the butterflies, the carb guides and tutorial videos will guide you. check the air filters to see if there is a step in the rubber boot which will block the air ports on the carbs, this was a problem with one of my bikes ( mikesxs filters of the same style do not have a step). check your gas cap to see if it is a vented cap, on some after market caps the gasket will block the vent hole stopping fuel flow so the bike quits after the fuel in the carbs runs out ( also a problem with one of my bikes), you can try running it with the cap loose and without filters to see if there is a difference, sportster tanks often have an internal vent tube, makes sure it is clear, if thats the case you dont need a vented cap. make sure the intake manifold vacuum ports are plugged and that the plugs are not dry rotted and leaking.
On any new ( used) bike purchase start at the beginning, adjust cam chain, check valve lash
If your bike has points, set the gap carefully, ( the gap setting is finicky ) set the timing and then check it with a timing light, setting timing statically is never accurate enough in my opinion. while the cover is off check the brushes for wear. since you have had carb problems I'd dump the oil and check the filters just to be safe, replace the sparkplugs, check the inside of the gastank for debris, install a new inline fuel filter.
I know you want to ride your new bike but going step by step through all the basics will at least give you a baseline to start troubleshooting from and you will know what you have rather than relying on what the previous owner may have told you. it will also set you up with a good routine for future periodic maintenance.
Good luck, dont get discouraged, you'll get it .

Back