How to adjust Boyer MkIII ignition?

Dorian

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I must to adjust the ignition of my XS but I don't know how to make it
My bike mounts a Boyer Micro-Mk III Unit as you can se in the first photo.

I read I must to rotate the engine anticlockwise until the rotor mark lines up with the first mark on the left (Full advance). And then I must adjust the magnets into the startor plate. But I don't know how because there is no marks or holes in the plate.

Maybe the adjust into the startor plate is to line up the two little coils (marked in the pict as 1) with the two magnets under the plate (marked in the pict as 2). But I'm not sure...

Sorry for my english
Thanks in advance
Carlos

img0363p.jpg

img0364rl.jpg

Does the bike run? If so, just put a timing light on it and only adjust the old points backing plate. If the bike won't run, I would adjust the magnets about to the position they should be if there were holes in your plate. You can see from the instructions about where the holes should be. Your other option would be to contact Boyerand see what they say.

Are you looking at the original timing marks on the crankshaft? That's where you check the timing. Just like from the factory. You just adjust the timing with the Boyer plate at the camshaft. There wouldn't be any painted marks there.

Back