How to build a 19" rear wheel with disc brake...

toddseventy9

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Fairly new to all of this. I have read tons on here about options for a 19" rear wheel (conversion kits for front hubs, hubs from other bikes, etc.). I've got a '79 Special II which has a spoked 16" on the rear, drum brake. I'm buying a stock swing arm from a rear disc brake XS. I'm doing a tracker(ish) project and I want 19" spoked front and rear with disc brakes.
I'm open to the suggestions you have. Be as specific as you can with what is required (spacers, adapters, etc.)

Thanks in advance for all of your input. Your experience and enthusiasm are greatly appreciated.

Did I read somewhere that a sportster front hub is a good place to start?
A very good source told me that a rear wheel from an old KZ750b twin, is great because it was spoked and set up for disc, and the spacing was good. These wheels are proving to be kinda hard to locate.

Help a noob!

I have a 750 b rear wheel if you want it we can work out a shipped price. 18" spoke. They are um portly... Sprocket alignment chain will be an issue.
A GS750-1000 spoke disk rear is probably a "better" option. I have two of those also... One has the rim removed. These were 18" also.
You will be out in the wilderness getting spokes for 19" rims mated to those hubs. $$buchanan's unless you can roll your own.

I have a 750 b rear wheel if you want it we can work out a shipped price. 18" spoke. They are um portly... Sprocket alignment chain will be an issue.
A GS750-1000 spoke disk rear is probably a "better" option. I have two of those also... One has the rim removed. These were 18" also.
You will be out in the wilderness getting spokes for 19" rims mated to those hubs. $$buchanan's unless you can roll your own.

The Doobie Brother's. One of my alltime favorite bands.

Only as another option, the 77 and 78 KZ1000-4 Kawasaki standard had a disc brake rear wheel.

yeah afaik those 1000 are the same wheel as the 750 kaw

That would make sense.

Back