how to calculate/measure? hardtail.

howry

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
hi,
been on this site for some time now, saw great projects; and was interested to know how you guys "measured"/calculated, the hard tail diagram?
like, lengh from the ground? seat? just some pointers for noobie :)

also, wooden jig anyone? its not the same as the fancy stuff that some guys using, but i really cant afford making or buying one. thought wooden jig, will help me out to some degree. anyone tried it?

thank you in advance guys.

this is the jig that my friend used for my bike. nothing special about it, just a bunch of scrap we had laying around.

1268704313645.jpg

the calculations that we used were pretty easy.
we set the axles plates. raised them a little.(which lowered the bike) and we worked back from there. super ghetto looking back at it. but it flys down the road straight.

we also used a pipe bender for the bends and....a mig!!!!OMFG!!!!

Wonderful post, and I think the could turn into a REALLY great thread.

There are plenty of talented people on here. How hard would it be for someone to make images or a program that would show what different measurements would look like?

It would be awesome to have a general idea without having to ask people to post pictures or search for hour.

An asset to the site?

As far as a jig goes, your better off using the swingarm as a jig. Wood burns.

I just guessed on about what I thought the amount of stretch I needed and rigged up a temporary jig for the rear half. Sorry I would post a pic but I'm on a touchpad and haven't figured it out yet. But I have pics of it in my album.

When you say use swingingarm as a jig do you mean set jig rear brackets in old swing arm and then remove it and rear end and then set new hard tail in its place so rear axle stayes the same. Hope iv explaned my thoughts so you,s understand.

Wonderful post, and I think the could turn into a REALLY great thread.

There are plenty of talented people on here. How hard would it be for someone to make images or a program that would show what different measurements would look like?

It would be awesome to have a general idea without having to ask people to post pictures or search for hour.

An asset to the site?

As far as a jig goes, your better off using the swingarm as a jig. Wood burns.

i actually havnt thought about that one :p i should get that swingarm, it will get me the right distance from the tire. and im looking for numbers and angles :p good idea.

I HAVE A HARDTAIL ON IT WAY FROM TC BROS AN THATS THE WAY I THINK IM GOING TO DO IT I DONT HAVE ANY FANCY JIGS AND HAVE NEVEY ATTEMPTED ANY THING LIKE THIS BUT I WILL MANAGE WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM THIS FORUM:thumbsup:

silverfox. this forum is amazing! lots ppl on it that know what they are talking about. i would love to order a weldon kit. but thats too expensive for me. and getting a 190mm rear tire, i a kit that hard to find. (plus a 28mm axle, i think). good luck.

Back