how to delete starter solenoid???

justwannaride

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Im missing my starter solenoid on my 83 xs650 and I have just the wires hanging....any idea of what I do with that mess so I can check for spark? Any wisdom will help thankyou

My question was how to delete it :doh:. if I dont need it than I would like to run without it for the moment. I am trying to buy just the basics for I have limited funds..I was told if I have a kick start on the bike I shouldnt need the solenoid to run the bike.

Is the starter solenoid something I cant run wuthout? If so I was probably told some inacurate information and appreciate your input.

you can run it without the starter solenoid. just cap the wires so they aren't bare.
But if u already have the wires right there, why not make the starter work?

I am going get the solenoid but I am trying kick it to check for spark. So I would cap off all four wires separetely. What about the two little wires ones blue and the other is red/white wouldnt they have to be touching one of the black wires? Sorry for my lack of knowledge:confused:

the blue/white wire goes to the electric starter button. The red/white wire goes to the safety relay. I have an '83 and no black wires near the solenoid. Black is usually ground so I wouldn't connect those to either wire. Need more info on those black wires. Are they part of a group plug?

My bad the pic is upside down but this is what im seeing

Attachments

• 1427845298667.jpg
    1427845298667.jpg
    266.5 KB · Views: 578
The larger black wires are the battery cables the smaller ones(LW &RW) go to the solenoid.

The only wires you need worry about are the heavy cable coming down from the battery. If it touches the frame you get fireworks. Maybe even blow the battery, melt some wires.
And the red/white wire, It's hot when you turn the key on and stays hot till the engine starts. This is power to the starter relay. The blue/white as mentioned goes to the start button where when pushed the button grounds the b/w wire. This completes the circuit and trips the starter relay and connects the large cable from the battery to large cable to the starter.
Now looking at your pic there is a wire bundle with a red wire that has a woven cover. This is the main power wire to the main fuse and key switch. It looks to be plugged into a dark wire, blue? that runs inside the rubber on the cable from the battery. You will need this wire hooked up. For testing I would just wrap the end of that heavy cable with black tape, from the rubber out over the end of the cable. Don't want it touching anything.
The other heavy cable, just leave it hanging as is, it has to power on it.
The small red white wire I would unplug the short bit of wire and wrap that up with tape.
The small b/w wire is ground, no problem there.
Now with the key on, engine stop switch in run, check voltage at the red/white wire at the coil and TCI box. If they both have power and it's at battery voltage then it should get fire by kicking.
Leo

Last edited:
Back