HOW TO: Drill mag wheels

Lester, great work! Makes my jigs look like caveman technology lol, can't wait to see your rims when they are done

Hey man your template worked perfect, I just made it easy for everybody else.... lol.
3D model tools are really good to help visualize your ideas.

Hey guys here is the proof of the pudding.
The 1/8" plywood template worked great, real easy to get a perfect fit by sanding them down just right.
I also rounded off the sharp edges of the "spokes"....looks pretty good but reeeeeeeeal boring to do.
Not done deburing yet but getting there.

For the guys who want a good chamfer on their holes like Charlesincharge has done you should go down two millimeters on the holes... then you will have a one mm chamfer. Take care to get things in senter and all will be well.

I will paint the mags semi glass black at a later time

cheers
:thumbsup:

Mag.jpgMag temp.jpgMag temp 2.jpgMag temp 3.jpgMag spoke.jpg

Hey guys here is the proof of the pudding.
The 1/8" plywood template worked great, real easy to get a perfect fit by sanding them down just right.
I also rounded off the sharp edges of the "spokes"....looks pretty good but reeeeeeeeal boring to do.
Not done deburing yet but getting there.

For the guys who want a good chamfer on their holes like Charlesincharge has done you should go down two millimeters on the holes... then you will have a one mm chamfer. Take care to get things in senter and all will be well.

I will paint the mags semi glass black at a later time

cheers
:thumbsup:

View attachment 22025View attachment 22026View attachment 22027View attachment 22028View attachment 22029

Lester it turned out great! Did you start on the rear wheel yet?

Thanks taggat.... you missed that I only drew up six spokes instead of seven.... Opps !..... LOL

Hey Guys,

Ever since I read Charlesincharge build thread http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19804 I knew I had to have speed holes in my front mag. I wanted to be sure my speedholes looked just as good as his did. I am a machinist gone design engineer so I made a 3D modle of the mag and played around with the spaceing and size, of the holes and so on. I have also made a 1:1 scale printer friendly drawing with dimensions. I have not done this to my mag yet BUT I have cut it out and checked and it fits real well on the web of the spoke. The holes shown are maximum size used for its location. Balance size... as long as you do the same thing to each spoke you will theoretically be where you started. Strength wize I spoke with a stress analisis guy at work and he said it was wize to keep a safe distance from the area where the spoke meets the rim bit.

This is free to use at your own risk.
Makes sure to do two prints, one to cut out and one for dimensions in the shop while drilling.
If you found this information helpful and want to give me a heads up... I need some Shop related stickers for my tool cabinet... PM me for my address.
The print format is A3 if you don't have a printer that handles this PM me and we can sort it out.

Charlesincharge, thanks for your permission to highjack your thread.

Personally I will be making templates out of Plywood or cutting board.

Hey Lester - are you running SolidWorks? I too am a CAD jockey and would love a copy of your rim model (for mock up purposes) ;-)

Nicely done by the way!

Doug

I did my front wheel and I am happy with the result, also looking for the 16" rear wheel jig--- tim

Hey Lester - are you running SolidWorks? I too am a CAD jockey and would love a copy of your rim model (for mock up purposes) ;-)

Nicely done by the way!

Doug

501Spanky... I use Inventor but I can expert STEP file format and it should work.
The outer diameter is correct and ofcouse the spoke bit is 100% but everything else is freehand but pretty close. PM me your E-maild and I'll send you the file.

I did my front wheel and I am happy with the result, also looking for the 16" rear wheel jig--- tim

Timbeck.... show us your work man! Did you use the Charlesincharge-Method and the PDF I posted???

I'll make one up for the rear aswell but at a later dated as I need to have the rim off to get it just right. Hang in there or just do your best.... remember the bigger the hole gets the bigger the space should become in between the holes to have symetry and keep it all pleasing to the eye. Make card board templates and draw up the holes... no big deal... I just cheated.
Scaleing will not do the trick.

Hey Lester---I did use the Charlesincharge deal along with your PDF and it all worked great---I blew up the PDF to 100%, did the cut out, transfered it to thin plywood, used an awl punch to mark the hole centers and was off to speed hole central---I would love to post a pic but it is beyond me to do so---looking foreward to the rear wheel set up---thanks again tim

Hey Lester---I did use the Charlesincharge deal along with your PDF and it all worked great---I blew up the PDF to 100%, did the cut out, transfered it to thin plywood, used an awl punch to mark the hole centers and was off to speed hole central---I would love to post a pic but it is beyond me to do so---looking foreward to the rear wheel set up---thanks again tim

Great to hear it worked out for you, Thats too bad we cann't see it though.... get help posting pics so you can show us your handy work.
Rear mag template comming up in a few months atleast.... I'll do it reguardless of what I do with my rear mag.

Back